PP best practice for noise control?

Edit My Images
Yes
I view a lot of sports images. Most of the time from folk who do the same events as me. It's a good measure of how far behind you are and it's a good reality check sometimes. I do find, however, that on displaying some of the exif data from some images, that the near identical ISO values are being used to my own shots. Naturally I'm wondering why their shots look clean as a whistle, yet mine exhibit more noise than a death metal concert. I'm usually not bad for exposure, rarely underexpose either. Got all that dialled in before the game starts.

If it's a trade secret then so be it. Understand fully. It's what seperates published work to stuff that gets left on the wire. However, is it a in camera processing job or a post processing in software job? Using the later would certainly slow any uploading process down so I'm wondering if there's something I need to be investigating in camera. Naturally, you can't find a single thing on the web about it, than just standard NR speak.

I usually use Photomechanic on metadata and pop it over to PS as a smart object to do any little changes. Nothing drastic to save time. I've convinced my GF that it's because I don't have a mac book pro, lol I don't think it's landing safely.

Used a trial of Noise Ninja, but feel it's adding another step in the process.

Happy to investigate, given a proper step for a hint of course :)

Thanks.

Paul

Most of the time yes :) - However, is it really that far away from the sensor of the 5D3?

The best noise reduction is always got from post processing from RAW (or jpeg with in-camera JPEG turned off) using one of the best noise reduction tools. Some years ago that was Neat Image, which I still use. I get the impression there's been some advances since then. I also get the impression that you won't find the best noise reduction in Photoshop. Of course learning a new software tool with lots of options which make useful differences will take time, and using it will add to your PP time.

Most of the time yes :) - However, is it really that far away from the sensor of the 5D3?
IMO, not unless you are above 6400. If it's a shoot-to-wire type thing it's probably in-camera Jpeg processing; and the newer cameras/processors/programs will have an advantage.

I've also found times where the OEM processor does a better job with noise than a third party program does (i.e. LR) in just initially rendering the image. Noise Ninja is probably the best "fast" noise program, but I don't use any of them... I stick w/ LR/PS with occasional use of the OEM program.

I tend to slightly over expose when theres high iso that usualy helps

Back