Critique Practicing my car lighting

Name
Ralph
Edit My Images
No
Yesterday's attempt at lighting a car was aimed at balancing ambient (back lit) light with the strobes to create as natural effect as possible. I set off early to go down to the cliffs so that I could capture the sunrise. A nice fall of rain had added some sparkle to the car and would hide any dirt
thumbs.gif

The 'dog walkers' car park was virtually empty so I was able to park very badly and commandeer a large portion of it to get the angle I wanted. The 'Photographers Ephemeris' app told me exactly when and where the sun would appear.

This picture shows the general arrangement:

I was using 3 Godox RS600Ps. There was one mounted on a light stand, at eye level to the rear of the car just off the left hand side of the picture. The two tall ones were fitted with standard reflectors and the ground level one fitted with an ungrided snoot. The power levels were varied as the sun slowly appeared from 1/16 to full power.

Unfortunately in my sleep deprived haze I forgot to take the radio trigger and so had the use the strobes in slave mode triggering them with the pop up flash on the camera. This was less than desirable and soon stopped working altogether as the sun grew in intensity.
Note to self; write a bl**dy list next time
doh1.gif
icon_evil.gif

However I was fairly happy with the end result. The file was tweaked in LR5 with a bit of selective cloning to remove a couple of hot spots. The clarity, shadows, contrast and overall exposure were boosted slightly and I used a local adjustment brush to bring out the lights and badge. In addition I 'warmed up' the strobe lighting to match the sun temp. It was then imported into Photoshop CC where I cloned out the lampposts.

Your comments and critique are welcome. These are very early days and I still have a lot of practicing to do, especially with my cloning skills.

All taken with a Pentax K3, Pentax DA* 16-50, ISO 100, f8, 1/180.

Interesting background information and a successful shot by the looks of things :)

IMO the reg plate needs pulling back a bit but the bigger problem is the sloping horizon. Lighting looks OK though!

Thanks for all the comments guys. Still plenty of practice to do.

I'd try the lights higher, hold the lightstand up if need be
Thanks for the comment. Always looking to improve so what benefit would having the lights higher give me?

IMO the reg plate needs pulling back a bit but the bigger problem is the sloping horizon. Lighting looks OK though!
I think I agree about the reg plate and you have good eyes to spot that the horizon slopes a bit. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out. Thanks for the interest.

Last edited:
Can't take the "credit" for the horizon spot - just happened to be scrolling and the horizon was bisected by the top of my screen. TBH, I have real problems getting horizons straight unless I have a level in the viewfinder and used to have to spend ages in PP getting them straight!

Back