Practise shots

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Just trying to get a steady hand shot but cant seem to go below 1/60th so i'm having to use a higher ISO than i really wanted or the flash :( Any tips?

!/30th i have to sit down for and hold me breath.

Heres a couple i did earlier as i was bored LOL

PC113076.JPG

PC113097.JPG

PC113098.JPG

PC113087.JPG

What focal length lens/zoom setting are you using? 1/60 is about the minimum safe handholding speed for a 50mm lens so you're doing OK. You can go a bit slower, but you wont get consistent sharp results all the time.

A rough rule of thumb is that your minimum shutter speed should be at least equal to about the focal length of the lens.

1/50 ... 50mm

1/100... 100mm

and so on, all the way up to 1/1000 at 1000mm.

That takes no account of image stabilisation which if you have it allows you to go about two shutter speed steps slower.

Ahhh right i see.

It was a 40-150 lens so anywhere in that range i was using.

Exif is still attached
The last one was 40mm but i managed to get it down to 1/30 so i was doing well then? :D

great then. thanks fot that useful info (y)

Look fine from here (y)

Dont hold your breath though, I've heard doing that increases your heart rate so making the shot less steady - what you should be doing is breathing out just as you hit the shutter (atleast thats what someone told me once).

I'll give it a go (y)

Just wanna be ready for christmas day as i have only the onboard flash and although its ok the pictures dont look right IMO with the shadows etc. Must get a nice flash one day.

One of the side effects of onboard flash is that you do, unfortunately get very harsh outline shadows - not really alot you can do except have as much ambient light as possible really.

Sad aint it. :(

Flash is on the list (with everything else i wanted :) ) but too poor right now :crying:

Dont hold your breath though, I've heard doing that increases your heart rate so making the shot less steady - what you should be doing is breathing out just as you hit the shutter (atleast thats what someone told me once).

Not strictly true WS ... at least as far as conventional wisdom goes ... firing off a shutter is a bit like shooting a pistol/rifle really ... :shrug:

Normal breathing as you line up and take aim etc., ... slightly deeper breath (but don't overdo it !) ... when you are ready to squeeze the trigger/shutter ... and let it out 1/3rds to 1/2 way and then hold ... as you then 'squeeze' the trigger/shutter to take the shot ... (y)

I think it is the practice of deep breathing before you take a 'hold' that ends up increasing your heart rate ... but I'm no doctor so you don't have to trust me ... :LOL:

With practice ... you should end up doing this automatically whenever you shoot and it will improve your 'hit rate' ... :D

:p

Just wanna be ready for christmas day as i have only the onboard flash and although its ok the pictures dont look right IMO with the shadows etc. Must get a nice flash one day.

One method of reducing the harshness of the shadows might be to loosely wrap the flash head with a bit of muslin or window netting ... white of course ... unless you want a colour cast ... :thinking:

You can buy proprietary 'hoods' (diffusers) for this but netting does a similar job more cost effectively ... imo ... :D

Normal breathing as you line up and take aim etc., ... slightly deeper breath (but don't overdo it !) ... when you are ready to squeeze the trigger/shutter ... and let it out 1/3rds to 1/2 way and then hold ... as you then 'squeeze' the trigger/shutter to take the shot ... (y)

But add to that a little

Don't hold the breath too long before you decide to squeeze it off.

Back