Beginner Practising OCF + Portraits (first proper go)

Name
Wez
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Long time admirer of this section. Yesterday had a first proper go at some portraits.

This is my daughter, who I just can't get to sit for a photo normally(!), letting me take one for a change. I said to her to just imagine she was sitting for a passport photo ;) Thought this was a nice one, my other subjects had to be the dogs!

I had the flash positioned above her and to her left. Sat about 6 inches from the wall.

I wanted the shadows on the right side of her face but the shadow that was on the wall was very prominent. Wondered what was the easiest way to get rid of that? Sat her further from the wall? Maybe get her to hold a reflector in her right hand at a slight angle to the wall maybe?

A while ago, I would've probably included the top of her head in the picture, but I really like the style in this section where I've seen the crops to the top of the head.

Next time I could get her to brush her hair properly too and maybe put a bit of hairspray on to avoid the stray hairs. If I can convince her to sit again! :p

Edited in LR, removed a couple of spots and lightened up the iris's a touch.

Would really, really love to hear your opinions, as I see some great photo's in this forum, on what to do and be mindful of next time :)

Many thanks,
Wez

Shot with Nikon D500, 50mm, F8, 1/250, ISO 100, Yongnuo 565 EX flash.

Maisie by Wez Filtness, on Flickr

Hi Wez,

Welcome to the OCF world, it is very addictive.

I am a beginner and am also learning.

The image is good and a reflector on the right would help bring the shadows up a bit, with regards to the background you need your daughter to be further away from the wall.

Hopefully the more experienced members will provide more feedback/help.

Thanks

Kev

To answer your question, the ideal is to have plenty of seperation between subject and background.

I don't think the shadow side is too dark, but that depends on your objective. I'd have lifted the light source a little (only a little), the nose shadow looks fine but the lip shadow is odd.

Whatever is reflecting light under her chin is bothering me a little. Stray hairs on a portrait aren't too difficult in Photoshop, but easier to get it mostly right before the shoot.

But the biggest problem is the lack of engagement, here we see a stare that's almost at the point of contempt.

Hi Wez,

Welcome to the OCF world, it is very addictive.

I am a beginner and am also learning.

The image is good and a reflector on the right would help bring the shadows up a bit, with regards to the background you need your daughter to be further away from the wall.

Hopefully the more experienced members will provide more feedback/help.

Thanks

Kev

Thanks for commenting, I'll definitely make sure she (or whoever else) is further away from the wall (y)

To answer your question, the ideal is to have plenty of seperation between subject and background.

I don't think the shadow side is too dark, but that depends on your objective. I'd have lifted the light source a little (only a little), the nose shadow looks fine but the lip shadow is odd.

Whatever is reflecting light under her chin is bothering me a little. Stray hairs on a portrait aren't too difficult in Photoshop, but easier to get it mostly right before the shoot.

But the biggest problem is the lack of engagement, here we see a stare that's almost at the point of contempt.

Thank you, I see what you mean the lip shadow does look strange now that you've pointed it out :)

The light under her chin would've been reflected from the laminate floor, I'd imagine? Pretty sure there was nothing there in the way.

You're totally right about the lack of engagement, she was an unwilling subject! Will have to find another family member or friend that's a bit more photogenic :)

Strange though, they don't mind cluttering up their Instagram with silly selfies and daft Snapchat pics of themselves! :D

Thank you, I see what you mean the lip shadow does look strange now that you've pointed it out :)

The light under her chin would've been reflected from the laminate floor, I'd imagine? Pretty sure there was nothing there in the way.

You're totally right about the lack of engagement, she was an unwilling subject! Will have to find another family member or friend that's a bit more photogenic :)

Strange though, they don't mind cluttering up their Instagram with silly selfies and daft Snapchat pics of themselves! :D
Keep at it, with the same subject too. Portrait photography is about more than pointing a camera at people.

You can be a master of lighting and camera-craft but still not take amazing portraits. The engagement needs working on too.

Not much to add to Phil's excellent advice!

Regarding the engagement bit, I like to engage people in chat before we start shooting and constantly through the shoot. It brings out different expressions and helps relax the subject. I might tell a bad joke, say something silly and wait for the moment just after. I might ask them to intensely stare at me. There's lots of things you can do, but you (I) need an interaction of some sort. In fact recently I took a pic of somebody who was really uncomfortable in front of the camera. I got her to take her phone and and take a selfie. Instantly relaxed her!!

I suspect you could bribe your daughter to sit again with the promise of nice pics/pics for social media profiles/cold hard cash!!

I'm by no means an expert but just sharing who works for me.

Not much to add to Phil's excellent advice!

Regarding the engagement bit, I like to engage people in chat before we start shooting and constantly through the shoot. It brings out different expressions and helps relax the subject. I might tell a bad joke, say something silly and wait for the moment just after. I might ask them to intensely stare at me. There's lots of things you can do, but you (I) need an interaction of some sort. In fact recently I took a pic of somebody who was really uncomfortable in front of the camera. I got her to take her phone and and take a selfie. Instantly relaxed her!!

I suspect you could bribe your daughter to sit again with the promise of nice pics/pics for social media profiles/cold hard cash!!

I'm by no means an expert but just sharing who works for me.

Good advice, thanks Shaheed (y)

I've always loved your portraits. I'll really work on the engagement/interaction next time :)

Back