Pre weather front sky

That is a superb shot there Gary, love the composition of it, the starburst from the sun is beautiful, my kind of shot.(y)

What's not to like?

Clever and effective (y)

definitely need to be framed that shot Gary- care to share the location?

Les ;)

Stunner, frame it.

Bang on and in a heartbeat.

Would I be frowned upon if I said I would skew the horizon so it looks level? The image looks level so I'm sure you're just on a un-level horizon naturally, but I might be tempted to edit that just so it doesn't look like you might be off level.

Don't want to detract from the positives here though, that really is a beautiful photograph.

Thanks again everyone

definitely need to be framed that shot Gary- care to share the location?

Les ;)
Kingswear as in opposite Dartmouth, im on Holiday there during Regatta week, care to be more specific with the location as i might cross the river

Yeah, just across from Dartmouth. If you head towards Coleton Fishacre it's the next car park, about a couple of hundred yards past. It's then about a five minute walk from there, you can't miss it.

Bang on and in a heartbeat.
The image looks level so I'm sure you're just on a un-level horizon naturally, but I might be tempted to edit that just so it doesn't look like you might be off level.

Yeah, it's in a uneven field. I did consider straightening it but the tower would look out of level (which in fact it is depending what angle you're looking at it from)

Oh my word...that's a stunnner.

Cracking image Gary - nice colours and detail in the shadows as well.

I wouldn't muck about attempting to straighten it I love it! You've got it all there Gary it's a beauty! You can't critique perfect.
It's called Day Mark tower, Map reference SX 903 503 if you wanted to look.

Topaz "Star Effects" is a neat piece of software isn't it?

I wouldn't know, it all down to technique. Also some lenses are better than others for it.
Oh really , it's just that the starburst effect looked exactly like one created using Topaz "Star Effects" - like this:

View attachment 19869

Last edited:
Oh really , it's just that the starburst effect looked exactly like one created using Topaz "Star Effects" - like this:

Yep really, it's a pretty simple technique involving small apertures and catching the point of light in the right place normally on the edge of something. It's like if you look at the sun through some tree branches on leaves or even look at a lightbulb and squint, just caused by a bit of light leak. The shape and effect of the burst will be effected by many things for instance the amount of diaphragm blades in the lens.

Back