Price Watch: Canon 20D

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Now that the Canon 30D is 'out of the closet', I for one will be looking to get a 20D to replace my 350D when the price comes down a bit more. My decision is based on wanting the improved handling, ISO performance and flash sync speed.

How about a 'dedicated price watch thread for the 20D with the body only price being the main reference point?

I'll start the ball rolling with the standard 20D body only price from Warehouseexpress at £749.

Mods: if this is not appropriate then please remove

£811 inc kit lens from Currys if you use Egg card for 5% discount , plus MAC5 or NHS192 promotion code for another 5% off.

Had a quick play with the 30D today at Focus on Imaging but there was nothing that jumped out and said buy me compared to the 20D.

Talking to a few of the resellers and the guys on the Canon Experience stand the consensus seems to be that there are not many 20Ds left around as Canon have been building 30D's for a while (the firmware on the pre-production unit was version 1.04 so I guess they have been doing plenty of testing). The guy on the Jacobs stand reckoned they were unlikely to get any more new 20D's in at all, although they were selling Grade B refurb kits for £699. I couldnt get anyone that had any 20D's to move from the £749 price. The consensus also seemed to be that the 30D would be at £949 once it hit the street and stabilised.

Mark

If Canon have been making these for a few months and not thought about making a huge publicity stunt out of it I guess they are either being very cautious about eating into possible 5D customers, or they may have something else in the not too distant future. Unusual that they have been so restrained about publicising the release of the 30D.

Warspite said:
...Unusual that they have been so restrained about publicising the release of the 30D.
Also interesting that they announce a £200 cashback on the 5D at the same time.

mfwild13 said:
Had a quick play with the 30D today at Focus on Imaging but there was nothing that jumped out and said buy me compared to the 20D.
Mark

I liked it :)

The huge screen is fantastic, but other than that, not much to tempt any 20D or even 10D upgraders really.

New 20D looks a bit of bargain at £750 if anyone can find one.

Some of the B stock 20D are well used.
I tried one in a branch of Jacobs and the first shot it took was frame number 8000 and something. hardly worth it for £699.

Mark.

Mark Grant said:
Some of the B stock 20D are well used.
I tried one in a branch of Jacobs and the first shot it took was frame number 8000 and something. hardly worth it for £699.

Mark.

I don't think that's the actual no of shutter activations Mark. That's stored in camera and you need special software to retrieve it. With Canons, they pick up the sequential frame numbering straight away from any card you use - at least I think that's what happens.

I agree though, I'd be very wary of buying B stock.

I think it covers everything from demos to returns to slightly marked cameras?

Back