Prices

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Now that the USA economy seems to be recovering how long do we think it will be before we see a reduction on equipment prices or do you think that these higher prices are here to stay.

I wouldn't hold your breath on prices coming down. Once they go up they rarely drop back down irrespective of exchange rates. I've usually found that greed rules :(

Do you need to ask this in Rip Off Britain?
Have you seen any move on the price of petrol even when the crude oil price has falling?
I know this is rip off Britain but the reason prices went up was because of the Dollar/Yen divide and were increased by Nikon, nothing to do with Britain.

I know this is rip off Britain but the reason prices went up was because of the Dollar/Yen divide and were increased by Nikon, nothing to do with Britain.

That's quite true. But as the $/Yen difference improves I haven't actually noticed lower prices in the UK. I'm still of the opinion that once prices go up they pretty much stay there.

Does not matter much what the reason was for the price rises. They tend to stay up until falling demand forces a drop.

Yeh.... i think rip off Britain covers it nicely

"Rip off Britain" is a nice catchy phrase, and lots of people believe it, but that doesn't make it true.

Suppose you wanted to but a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS, as many people do.

At B&H in New York, which is the biggest photographic retailer in the USA, it's $1949.95. Convert US$ to GB£, add 6.9% import duty and 15% VAT, and you get £1468.75. That's nearly £100 more than you'd pay to buy one from Amazon.co.uk - the real Amazon, not some dodgy marketplace retailer.

"Rip off Britain" is a nice catchy phrase, and lots of people believe it, but that doesn't make it true.

Suppose you wanted to but a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS, as many people do.

At B&H in New York, which is the biggest photographic retailer in the USA, it's $1949.95. Convert US$ to GB£, add 6.9% import duty and 15% VAT, and you get £1468.75. That's nearly £100 more than you'd pay to buy one from Amazon.co.uk - the real Amazon, not some dodgy marketplace retailer.

That price ($1949.95) doesn't include local taxes either :)
I actually think it's more than Kerso would charge you for this lens too.

Do you need to ask this in Rip Off Britain?
Have you seen any move on the price of petrol even when the crude oil price has falling?

Chaz, have you looked out into Tor Bay recently? Seen all those tankers riding low in the water? Surely they can't be waiting there, reducing supply until demand forces the price of crude up, making it worth their while delivering...
Pretty sure camera prices aren't going to fall. For ages, the camera importers carried the costs of the falling pound until one of them had to give in and raise prices, at which point they all did the same. It's going to take a while for them to recoup the losses they made in that time. Of course, there will be discounts available in the run up to christmas but only on relatively old products, especially those aimed at the beginner - once they have you in their system with a couple of extra lenses and a speedlight, they've got you hooked!

I think we're lucky that prices didn't double:

http://www.google.co.uk/finance?q=GBPJPY

Purely based on the exchange rate, Canon and Nikon could have justified doubling their prices given that they report profits in Yen. They probably didn't do this because demand would fall too sharply but I don't think they're making easy profits from the price increases we've seen recently.

So until Sterling recovers strongly against the Yen, yes I think high prices are here to stay.

Back