Printing your photos at home - help needed

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I'm trying to print some personal on my Canon iP4950 which I appreciate isn't a pro printer but no matter what I try it just prints too bright. Does anyone have any tips on setting things up properly so the prints match my screen (which has been calibrated with Spyder Pro)? I'm going through Photoshop to print, I have the Canon utility too but that crashes every time I print.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

No experience with that printer, but since I get the opposite effect I usually add 10% brightness in the printer dialogue (in Aperture). Maybe the reverse is possible in the tools you use?

Check, and recheck, that you aren't using double colour management.

There are loads of youtube videos etc on it and how to make sure you don't end up using it.

I must say Andy that I could never get a perfect print from my old Canon IP4600 and I wasted far too much time trying. I am definitely of the opinion that it is far better all round (quality and cost) to have a lab do them, all except convenience of course for a handful.

If I were printing my own I would have to invest in a color munki to do both screen and printer.

You should really have the printer calibrated as well but as Chris says above if you dial in some negative brightness and play with the contrast you should be able to get close... And if you use photoshop to manage colour then make sure you have it turned off in the printer management although it doesn't sound as if that's the problem. It is worth persevering with.

have you tried it letting the printer control the colour rather than photoshop? ive always ticked the box to let the printer manage it and turned the colour management option off in the printer settings. Although i dont have that specific printer you might have the same options tucked away

Trouble with that is you manage your workflow in ps and then virtually abandon it to the printer manufacturers ideas. Its a bit like opting for jpegs over raw. . Fine if you dont want control over the final image.

but the prints come out looking like they do on screen. Its worth a sheet of A4 to test at the least.

He said it prints to bright which suggests they don't come out as the look on screen. Yes it is worth a sheet of paper but if you want a properly managed workflow using photoshop then you don't throw it away at the last step by allowing the printer to manage colour. You will have a calibrated screen and printer, use correct paper profiles and manage the colour correctly..

I can't seem to get a high quality print on my canon printer from photoshop - it spits it out superfast unless I export it and then use the printer utility to do it, tried to find a solution but failed and then it was good enough doing it that way so I stopped and just used the printer software.

Back