Problem with the camera, or the development?

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm working my way through my 120 rolls I got developed on Monday. I've seen a couple of these

Wales+Coastal+Path-001-2-Edit.jpg

Does anyone recognize the green bits at the bottom? The pattern is kind of weird, with the strip at the bottom that doesn't show the problem. I'm pretty sure I can see it on the negative, so it's not the scan. Camera problem, or development problem, do you think?

Edit: looking at the neg again, there's something on the rebate coinciding with the problem - almost as it something has smeared out of the image area and into the rebate.

Last edited:
What camera is it from?

Hi, It's almost certainly fogging caused by a light leak from the camera. Does it appear on all negatives in roughly the same place.

Just as a quick test (not a solution to the problem) next time you put a film through the camera carefully seal all the edges of the back or film opening with perhaps a couple of layers of black insulating tape before taking any shots. After you've finished exposing the film wind it on fully and then remove the tape and film. If after the film has been developed check the negs for any fogging. If there is no fogging then the problem you have is a light leak from the camera.

Hope this helps.,

George.

neg looks square so is it a 6x6 looks like a light leak for me as well but oddly the bottom couple off mm look really clear.

Light leak, either in camera or where the 120 roll hasn't been wound tight enough after it was taken out of the camera.

we would need to see the negative to be sure. to see the whole pattern and if it is also on the spaces between the frames.

Ghosts. Definitely ghosts.

Or a light leak. I don't think it'd be where the film was rolled as the fogging should extend right to the bottom of the image if the film wasn't tight and as noted, that bit's ok.

Is it the same on every negative? If it's a light leak in the camera, it should be pretty consistent.

I've had light leaks like that in the past that only happened on frames that were "in position" for a while while I was walking around in the sunshine. Those I'd taken quickly and wound on were OK. Looks like a camera leak, though, I agree.

It is certainly a light leak.
However it is not clear how or when.
It can be a loose roll,
it can be a bellows leak.
it can be a camera seal.
It can be during loading the film into the processing machine
It can be during the processing

Cheers all!

It's only happened on this roll, but it was the roll that sat half-used in the camera for a few months. The affected shots were the earliest ones, but not every one from that session.

The pattern is pretty consistent, but the strip at the bottom that is unaffected is pretty weird, and a big clue (but to what, I have no idea :p )

Here's a better example

Wales+Coastal+Path-001.jpg

I guess if it happens again, I'll change the light seals, if not I'll put it down to a fluke.

The strip at the bottom looks like it could be a shutter problem, what camera is it?

I don't think the strip at the bottom means anything much. There's no particular reason why a light leak should cover your whole image circle. It depends where the leak's getting in, the direction of the light, the shape of the gap etc.. etc..

Back