Problems with developing

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I developed my first roll of 120 this evening - Neopan 400 in R09, 1:25, acetic acid ~2% stop, 1+4 Rapid Fix. I've a problem now - the negs look great and I'm itching to take them down and scan them to see better. How do I hold myself back? :) I don't want to scratch them, so realistically will have to wait till tomorrow evening now.

Yes, I'll make the thread useful and post pics once I can :)

Neopan 400 in 120? Is this old stock? Because apparently it was a magnificent film but it's only available in C41 process in 120 now.

Yeah, it expired in march. Was sent over from Ireland with the dev kit as a pressie from a friend after I told him I was shooting film. Perfect timing too - was just before I did a buy it now on some kit on ebay!

Nice! Regarding this, I'm scanning within a few hours of finishing developing normally; I use a wetting agent (Fotospeed RA50, although Ilford Ilfotol and Kodak Photo-Flo are similar) because of the hard water in my area, but it also 'encourages' more efficient drying, so you may wish to consider using that? The 500ml bottle cost me £5 and I use 2.5millilitres per roll of 120, so that's like 3p per roll.

Ahh, I did a final wash with photo-flo - so roughly how long are you waiting for before handling the film?

Thanks for the help!

Handle it now (of course you know that!).

In the summer with a gentle air flow, I can cut mine and package within 3/4 hours (if I have to) but I usually leave them for 6 hours (as they are doing no harm). Just keep the sun off them and keep out of humidity.

Look forward to seeing the results from your efforts.

As above - 3 hours is usually enough for the film to be dried out, though I tend to leave them overnight, as I almost always seem to do my developing in the evenings.

Negs were nice and flat this morning, so look good for scanning tonight. I'll post pics asap!

And arguably the longer they are hanging out unnecessarily and not in negative sheets, the more dust they are attracting by the second. Sounds good, make sure you post the results!

Flat negatives... *glares at curly Fomapan*

One or two bits of dust - where does everyone get their neg sleeves?

Having said that, they look good now they are scanned. Mainly pics of friends and family, so apologies for the lack of high art!

Scanned on the 3250 with my home-made neg-holder. Went for a flat exposure in the scanner then just did auto levels and a touch of sharpening in Lightroom.

Sis-in-Law
20110711222235_scan-110711-0012.jpg

Split-toned in Lightroom
20110711222232_scan-110711-0005.jpg

Contrasty!
20110711222218_scan-110711-0001.jpg

Thanks guys. I'll go for the translucent ones - I anyway keep track of negs in lightroom and assign a name for the set there.

I like the clear ones - just throw the entire sheet on the lightbox, but the paper ones are better at controlling static I understand.

I hang my negatives clipped on a shower curtain rod and put a small fan blowing up along the film. It is usually ready for handling in about 30 min.

Back