Product photography

Edit My Images
No
Im here for a bit of advice. I need to photograph products regularly for a website and need to upgrade my camera.
I have a basic set up at work including backdrops, lights,and some reflectors and have been getting OK results after watching many youtube videos on lighting set ups.
I now need to upgrade to a DSLR camera

Budget is around £500

I need to shoot standard range images as well as some close ups so guess I will need a macro lens as well as a standard?

I would also like the ability to shoot tethered (i think this is what its called?) Ive had images shot profesionally before and the photographer always had his camera linked to his laptop. As soon as he took a photo it appeared on screen for us to approve.

Ive been recomended the Canon EOS 600D in Jessops but would rather have some impartial advice and unbiased opinions.

(PS jessops advised that tethering was not possible with the canon eos 600d, is this true?)

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Rick

Firstly - welcome to the forum!

This is a much better way to spend £500

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS...Cameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item416d1996a8

The 600D can't be tethered AFAIK, although you could work around this with a wireless memory card (like the Wi-Fi units).

The 60D is much more capable and the included lens will give decent results in the studio for product photography. I don't see the need for a macro unless the product is very small.

Ultimately when you're read to shell out more cash, then add a TS-E lens to the kit for the ultimate in product photography lenses.

Phil

hi

I do some product photgraphy. One of the most important things for me has ended up being a lens that has little or no distortion, - ie a good prime.

Lighting, camera & all that goes with it, of course matters, but barrelling lines look so bad once you sit back & admire your own work.
If I ever finish my latest round of lighting refinements, I'll try to post what I've done.

Otherwise, try to do what others have done, try to imitate those whose work catches your eye. If you are lucky they might have displayed their techniques on the www.

I use Nikon, but whoever the manufacturer may be, the right lens(es) matter a lot.

good luck.

I'd be surprised if it cant be used tethered - I have the 550d and I can use that tethered via the EOS Utility (one of the bundled bits of software anyway) - as far as I know you can pretty much run the camera from your PC.

yeah the 600D now tethers in Lightroom 4.2 and works well!

Last edited:
Back