Project: 100 Strangers - Can I take your picture? - added 27/02

Name
Marcus
Edit My Images
Yes
All credit to Joe for this idea in the following thread:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/project-100-strangers-can-i-take-your-picture.503708/

There seemed quite a bit of interest in Joe's thread which sadly hasn't been updated for a while now - so as I've done a few of these as part of my street photography of late I figured I'd start my own thread and see how we go (y)

This is something that I can mix up quite nicely with my street photography project and puts me outside of my comfort zone by approaching complete strangers and speaking to them.. lol

These pictures were taken a couple of weeks ago but I'll aim to add to them on a weekly basis where I can :)

Picture 1:

Happy at rest by XFile2708, on Flickr

Picture 2:

Chilled by XFile2708, on Flickr

Picture 3:

Mother and Daughter by XFile2708, on Flickr

Last edited:
as Liam Neeson would say.. 'Good Luck' ;)

Should be great for confidence building - do you just ask for their photo, or learn anything about them? :)

Last edited:
as Liam Neeson would say.. 'Good Luck' ;)

Should be great for confidence building - do you just ask for their photo, or find learn anything about them? :)

Thanks Dan - so far I've just approached them, explained that I'm doing a photography project and just have general chit-chat with them.. I like the idea from this thread of getting a quote from them as part of the conversation and adding that to the picture - I'll go with the flow as im just starting off and see where it takes me :D

I was on the other end of one of these projects in London a few weeks back, despite being the shyest, most self-conscious person on the planet who hardly even ever appears in family photos, I said yes when the photographer explained what they were doing.

I was on the other end of one of these projects in London a few weeks back, despite being the shyest, most self-conscious person on the planet who hardly even ever appears in family photos, I said yes when the photographer explained what they were doing.

Nice one matey - so yes it works both ways :)

I've only done a handful of pics where I've approached and spoken to the person but everyone so far has been really nice, chatty and more than happy for me take a pic (y)

Congrats on starting this and thanks for the credit :D

Nice shots, good characters. It appears that you are shooting from low down, is that the intention?

Thanks Joe - yes unfortunately I'm on a mobility scooter so not much I can do about the view-point.. I think it makes for a different type of shot anyway.. :D

Thanks Joe - yes unfortunately I'm on a mobility scooter so not much I can do about the view-point.. I think it makes for a different type of shot anyway.. :D

I'm sorry to hear the scooter issue & know what you mean as I am a wheelchair user outside the home & have no choice of viewpoint :)

I'm sorry to hear the scooter issue & know what you mean as I am a wheelchair user outside the home & have no choice of viewpoint :)

I look at it more of a plus in that people don't see me as a threat and are more than happy to have a chat and let me take their pic :D

I look at it more of a plus in that people don't see me as a threat and are more than happy to have a chat and let me take their pic :D

Yes good for you - in the same way I am quite extrovert so I get the sympathy vote :)

Completely forgot to update this thread with the last stranger I photographed - so here's Stranger #10 in my series (y)

Strangers 10/100 by XFile2708, on Flickr

I met Ron on a visit to St Marys Church in Norton, Stockton on Tees.

Ron has been a member of the church for 15 years. Ron is in charge of polishing all the brass items within the church - a job he has done with pride for the last 14 years.

Apologies for the lack of progress on this project, but its definately something I'm aiming to make serious progress into in 2015 (y)

Hi Marcus, I found my way over here from your signature in the message on my thread :D
You have managed to capture a diverse group of portraits in your project. Good work.

Best wishes for your continuing on the project (y)

Lol thanks Iain - it was seeing your thread that reminded me I'd forgotten to update this one and needed to get my act together to progress the project further :D

Starting 2015 as we mean to go on - here's stranger #11 in my x100 Strangers Project (y)

Strangers 11/100 by XFile2708, on Flickr

Today I met Darren on a visit to Middlesbrough.

Darren has been selling the Big Issue now for 13yrs and 8 of those years have been at this pitch in Middlesbrough.

Darren needs to sell x10 magazines per day and it was a pleasure to be his first customer of the day and for Darren to very kindly allow me to take his portrait for this project.

Thank you Darren :)

Last edited:
Nice one Marcus, good to see you have continued with the 100 strangers.
I like the B&W conversion, it suits the subject, good work.

Oh you might want to say to Darren the next time you see him, his vendors badge has expired;):D

Lol thanks Iain - I didn't spot it originally but x3 people including your goodself have... I'll be sure to have a chat with him next time we're across that way and make sure its been updated :D

Strangers number 12 and 13 taken today (y)

Strangers 12/100 by XFile2708, on Flickr

Today I met Nana Lou whilst out and about in Billingham.

This lovely lady is known to all the local children as Nana Lou and will be 90 in March.

Whilst chatting with Nana Lou she said shes looking forward to holidaying in Salou later this year!

Many thanks to Nana Lou for sparing me her time today and for agreeing to be a part of this project :)

Strangers 13/100 by XFile2708, on Flickr

Later on in the morning I got talking to Carol and she kindly agreed to me taking her portrait for this project.

Carol is originally from London but moved to the North East in 1968 when she got married to Ted.

Thank you Carol for agreeing to be part of this project :)

Stranger #14 taken today (y)

Strangers 14/100 by XFile2708, on Flickr

Today I met Spud whilst I was out and about in Billingham.

I've seen Spud out and about regularly around the Stockton and Middlesbrough areas and always wanted to stop and have a chat with him.

So today I did :)

They always say don't judge a book by its cover and this guy is a prime example of that. A real down to earth and friendly character :)

Spud said that he'd been listening to his music this morning. He saw my Rammstein beanie I was wearing and we spoke in some detail about his favourite Rammstein tracks.

Spud was more than happy to be a part of my Strangers Project - so thank you Spud :)

Thanks Susie - yes Nana Lou is a lovely lady and I think has probably been most peoples favourite of the pictures I've taken so far within the project (y)

You should give the project or the idea in general a go - you'll be surprised how approachable the majority of people are and the buzz you'll get from speaking to people and learning a little more about them :)

Back