Puffins on Inner Farne

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
Yes
More shots of the Puffins taken on Inner Farne on my visit there on Friday last weeek. A highly recomended visit which provides an ideal opportunity to get close to these and the other birds there.

5803823081_8463c16f7c_o.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

5804384382_4d041336e3_o.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

5803827833_0827e54e69_o.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Nice set Gordon

Going some time this month. Hoping to leave my Sigma 150-500 at home and take a 16-45 and a 55-300 zoom. What focal lengths did you use on your visit?

Funny you should ask that question. i took a 150-500 to the Farne Islands last year. Prior to this years trip last week I reviewed my pictures specifically looking at focal length used. I no longer have the 150-500 so my choices were 120-300 or 500. I chose to take the former and have no regrets. There were however loads of people using 500's so it depends what kind of pictures you want. I was unable to separate sandwich terns from the flock with my lens of choice. I may have been able to with a 500. I took binoculars with me but need not have bothered.

Hi Alan and Malcom, for the static shots I used my 500mm f/4, however with the bird in flight shots, I found the birds to be too close and fast in order to find them in the viewfinder and track using the 500mm. For these shots I used my 70-200mm which proved to be quite versatile, especially for the Artic Terns.

If you go to Inner Farne be sure to take a hat, the Terns dive bomb you and peck at your head, and also show what they think of you by messing on your head.

Gordon

Last edited:
Even a box of Persil wont get yer Whites that good Gordon :D Lovely set, if that bird on the right in #3 had been within your dof it would have been a cracking shot, still all good though (y)

Again thanks to all for the comments.

Philp, you will find that your 70-200mm f/2.8 MK11 will be fine as I did. On Staple Island and Inner Farne I found that you could get really close to the birds as you walked around on the footpaths. Take the 70-200mm + 1.4 TC, together with a longer lens if you have one to pull the birds in to give closer shots. There were a lot of people there with 500mm lenses, which I used for each of these 3 shots. I also took a tripod.

Regards: Gordon

Back