Purton Hulks - Sunset - Subtle HDR

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
Took my bro out on a Sunset HDR mission tonight, headed over to Sharpness then Purton, wandered down to the hulks which is basically a graveyard for old barges (read about it here: http://www.friendsofpurton.org.uk/)

One of the first shots that I have processed has come out very well, cracker of a sunset again :)

Purton Hulks HDR by Sam_catch, on Flickr

Once again I am looking for feedback, ideas on what to change or improve etc...

Thanks in advance,
Sam

Last edited:
Last edited:
like the first one alot , and i am not usually a fan of HDR . .. .

2nd not so subtley done for me

50d and a 17-55f2.8

Thanks for the kind words.. The processing on the 2nd one was deliberately more traditional HDR.

:)

Sam

#1 for me. Lovely colours in the sky and nice detail throughout.

Would the object to the left (old boat?) make a better foreground feature?

Cheers.

#1 for me. Lovely colours in the sky and nice detail throughout.

Cheers.

It would, but my bro was already shooting that and I dont like to tread on toes when out on shoot with someone else. His shot of it can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34684523@N08/5747629552/

I have uploaded a fresh version of the image, exact same picture but resized/cropped to 1366x768, so ideal res for laptop wallpaper.

Sam

It would, but my bro was already shooting that and I dont like to tread on toes when out on shoot with someone else. His shot of it can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34684523@N08/5747629552/

I have uploaded a fresh version of the image, exact same picture but resized/cropped to 1366x768, so ideal res for laptop wallpaper.

Sam

Having looked at your brother's photograph, I'd have been all over his toes...:D

Dont worry, I will be all over that wreck next time I head there.. Only about 20 minutes from home :)

One more go at the editing of that second shot and I think I nailed it..

Purton Hulks - Sunset Edit V3 by Sam_catch, on Flickr

Treated the foreground and sky differently (as I always do in these sorts of shots) but also picked the wrecks out into another layer and treated them as a seperate element. Think I got it right.

Views, thoughts and opinions?

Sam

Last edited:

For the records the Purton Hulks are all old boats, its a boat graveyard. :)

Sam

awesome shots, do you use software for your hdr needs? your bro's shot is pretty cool too!

awesome shots, do you use software for your hdr needs? your bro's shot is pretty cool too!

I use photomatix light to do the initial merging (tweaking the settings till I get an effect I am happy with), then move into Photoshop to do the bulk of the processing to get the balance right for the final image. Usually end up revisiting photoshop 24hrs later to do another further edit on it as I have a bad habit of going to far with my HDR processing on the first pass...

Thanks for the kind comments.

Sam

2 cracking shots. If I was being picky, for me, the foreground in the first is slightly too dark for my liking. The second is spot on!
Keep em coming.

fabulous shots,love the colours, must give this HDR a bash, my favourite is No.2 but both are cracking...

Really great use of HDR. Fantastic colours

Back