Q-strap failure, recommendations for a replacement wanted please.

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
Just packing my gear for this weekend's photography experience at Howletts Wildlife Park and noticed that my q-strap neo has torn right through. Really glad I noticed this prior to using it as I was going to be using the strap with my D750 and 70-200mm f2.8. That would have been a really expensive accident :eek:

I've now got to try and find a replacement but am heading off first thing in the morning so will need to find a camera shop somewhere down there. Does anyone know of stores in Folkestone, Dover or Canterbury that stock Black Rapids? Failing that I'll have to see if I can get Amazon to deliver to the hotel.

Which BR is better, the RS-7 or the Sport, or the Sport 2.

192392B5-C777-4338-9767-EA8E114D0369_zpsvcydrgqm.jpg

Try Canterbury camera centre or Jessops in the high street.
Thanks, will give them a call on the way down. Just looked on Jessops and they only stock the RS-7 rather than the sport (which was my preference) but I'd rather have that than none.

Thanks, will give them a call on the way down. Just looked on Jessops and they only stock the RS-7 rather than the sport (which was my preference) but I'd rather have that than none.

Definitely a good idea to call first.

You had 1 min from the time i posted that link for delivery tomorrow. Maybe try chat them to get the order in.

You had 1 min from the time i posted that link for delivery tomorrow. Maybe try chat them to get the order in.
Oh right, thought you meant because there's only a few left ;) I can get it delivered Saturday so that's not an issue, it's just whether the hotel will accept it. Don't see why not.

Well that's the amazon idea out of the window, for some reason as soon as I change delivery to the hotel the delivery date changes to Monday rather than Saturday, even if I choose click and collect :(

Calumet may be able to do it, they offer same day courier so next day shouldn't be a problem but you won't know until tomorrow ... how on earth did you break the Q-Strap there?

Calumet may be able to do it, they offer same day courier so next day shouldn't be a problem but you won't know until tomorrow ... how on earth did you break the Q-Strap there?
No idea, just noticed it packing my bag up. Must've split under weight I guess. Thanks, will look at their site.

If I wasn't using mine this weekend I would have posted it to the hotel for you and you could have sent it back next week....................but I have a busy weekend ahead.
I forgot mine last weekend and I fairly missed it

If I wasn't using mine this weekend I would have posted it to the hotel for you and you could have sent it back next week....................but I have a busy weekend ahead.
I forgot mine last weekend and I fairly missed it
Thanks. Does that mean you barely missed it, or you missed it a lot ;)

If you go ordering from Amazon there's the the locker drop off where you can select a nearby store, you could choose one nearby to where your visiting ? :) http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200742950
Thanks, I tried that but it wouldn't allow Saturday delivery for some reason. Ordered from Wex now so drama over (hopefully). Had to pay through the nose fro delivery though but at least I should have the strap in time for the photography experience on Sunday (fingers crossed).

I missed it a lot , use it all the time

Had to pay through the nose fro delivery though but at least I should have the strap in time for the photography experience on Sunday (fingers crossed).

The delivery charge was probably cheaper than dropping the d750 and 70-200 when the strap gave way. Scary it's split like that, isn't the guy who runs Q-Straps a member on here? May be worth contacting him. Something like this happening is the reason why I went with a blackrapid in the fast place. Glad it's worked out for you.

The delivery charge was probably cheaper than dropping the d750 and 70-200 when the strap gave way. Scary it's split like that, isn't the guy who runs Q-Straps a member on here? May be worth contacting him. Something like this happening is the reason why I went with a blackrapid in the fast place. Glad it's worked out for you.
True enough. I'm not sure tbh but I was thinking about emailing, not to complain but just to make them aware so they can improve the product.

True enough. I'm not sure tbh but I was thinking about emailing, not to complain but just to make them aware so they can improve the product.

The cutout down the middle has caused the weak point at the end, pressure builds up in the corner and caused a little tear that quickly gets worse (similar reason why aeroplane windows are round). If the other side hasn't started to split and you used it, hopefully the other side may have held long enough for you to notice the tear. Thankfully you noticed before using it.

The cutout down the middle has caused the weak point at the end, pressure builds up in the corner and caused a little tear that quickly gets worse (similar reason why aeroplane windows are round). If the other side hasn't started to split and you used it, hopefully the other side may have held long enough for you to notice the tear. Thankfully you noticed before using it.

Id agree with this and its why Id personally avoid neoprene or rubber style straps, especially with any cuts in.

TBH even if it broke through completely (unlikely I would have thought with the stitched seam in place) there is still the other side of the cutout holding it together, so the chances of immediately losing a camera and lens would be pretty slim IMO.
Having said that, I don't think the split down the middle is a particularly useful idea and isn't a feature of the Q-Straps that I have used since 2011.

Quick update, the black rapid sport strap arrived and I have to say I'm very impressed. It's in a different league. Wish I'd just bought one in the first place rather than being cheap ;)

A good example that highlights the fact that cheap straps are false economy. I personally use the Black Rapid Sport which is excellent. In addition, I'm just waiting for one of these fusion plates to be delivered. I reckon having this with a BR Sport is the best of both worlds for carrying and tripod use.

A good example that highlights the fact that cheap straps are false economy. I personally use the Black Rapid Sport which is excellent. In addition, I'm just waiting for one of these fusion plates to be delivered. I reckon having this with a BR Sport is the best of both worlds for carrying and tripod use.

Are you importing and at what cost dare I ask?
I did email fpgear but had no response, they look like a good solution,

Are you importing and at what cost dare I ask?
I did email fpgear but had no response, they look like a good solution,

It's $64.00 so about £41.00 give -or-take. There may be a bit of UK import tax on top of that. Will have to wait and see, hopefully not. But getting the camera off-strap and on to tripod has been a major bug bear for me for years. Finally something innovative in that area. Can't find anywhere in the UK that sells them so I have gone ahead with The USA purchase.

Fusion plates are great mine cost me $68 +$9 postage then £17 duty & post office handling takes about 5 working days hope this helps
We had this conversation on the d750 thread, perhaps we should start up a new thread as it's randomly popping up in other threads now. I like the idea of them but I'm currently undecided which way to go with L Brackets or strap connector.

I noticed these whilst having a nose around SRS earlier, are they similar to the Fusion??..............I don't use the BR straps, but thought these maybe useful and UK stock?

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/ba...-plate-pro-universal-tripod-plate-system.html

Back