Queen Elizabeth 2 bridge (QE2) Also known as Dartford crossing

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
My First post

Queen Elizabeth 2 bridge (QE2) Also known as Dartford crossing

I really wanted to shot this a lot latter but I took my young son with me and he wanted to go home, shot was taken at around 10.30 using an 18mm-55mm lens at 18mm, f11, ISO 200. 30 second exposure and I used a variable ND filter at about 10 stops

223 by markbaker1975, on Flickr

Nice shot, were abouts did you take this from? as its a decent angle.

Thanks! The Bridge is extremely high and I wanted to keep the top of the bridge in frame. I guess I was about 50 feet from the first pillar. If I had more time I could of gone lower down the bank to remove the first pillar from the shot but I'm happy with the outcome

I like it, but if it were mine I'd correct the converging verticals as they add nothing to the image, crop away the base of the first pillar (it's the only part of the pillar that remains after correcting the convergence) and apply a little more sharpening.

That leaves only one thing that sticks out like a sore thumb to me. Is the double kink in the bridge really there or is it due to distorton (or my eyes and overactive brain)?

Thanks for your input, I did ponder on cropping the picture but liked the way the cables to the left of the left main upright balanced the picture, I'll upload a crop to see!

Thanks for the advice!

:eek: OK, HOW!! or more accurately, where exactly? Quite seriously, last week, driving back from the south coast there was the most amazing sky just as the sun was disappearing and we were approaching the crossing. We diverted off the M25 to try and find a vantage point to shoot from but not knowing the area, just couldn't get close :(

Great angle and would love to know if the colour version is as dramatic as the conversion.

Thanks for your input, I did ponder on cropping the picture but liked the way the cables to the left of the left main upright balanced the picture, I'll upload a crop to see!

Thanks for the advice!

I prefer the cables as well; but I had to start from what you had. I did actually make the changes I suggested to make quite sure that they would work.

Leaving it "as is" I'd suggest taking a closer look at the orphaned piece of the far support on the extreme left hand edge. It makes a dark triangle apparently disconnected from the bridge.

I live quite near the bridge and travel across it once a week, but too found it hard to get a suitable spot to take the picture! In fact it took me about 2 hour to find how to get close lol.

I originally tried to get access from the west side of the bridge (left of where I took the picture) but found that the power station prohibited that! If you Exit the M25 just after crossing the bridge from north to south and turn left at the first roundabout onto 'Crossways Bivd' (A206) cross 3 more roundabouts then turn left into an industrial estate and park near the very end of the lane. you can cross the field to your left onto a pathway that leads you back to the bridge, Unfortunately it's about a mile walk, but was worth it!

Cropped and sharped version

Cropped bridge by markbaker1975, on Flickr

Colour version without ND filter

210 by markbaker1975, on Flickr

(y) thankyou, i think we did get to the estate but not much further, so thats really worth knowing. Will have to make another trip.

I do like the colour version, probably even more than the mono (y)

+1 (y) The amount of times I have been across that but can see no real way of getting through. Great post and definitely one to bank next time I am passing and have a couple of hours. (y)

Great picture Mark , think I prefer the colour one.

Looks like you could have parked in the Asda on Crossways Boulevard and then joined the footpath you used via a small gate.

Found this image - which I guess is the first view you get from the riverside

Dartford Crossing

David

Lovely shot,i do prefer the the colour shot.:)(y)

Thanks for your comments everyone. The colour version is actually my favourite too! Was going to post it at some point anyway!

Like them both especially the colour version would like to see the cables a bit bolder :)

Last edited:
Back