Quiraing very early light

Name
Marie
Edit My Images
No
I have non togger friends visiting, and they wanted to witness a Skye sunrise.
To my surprise they actually got up at 2.45am and came out with me to the Quiraing. I think they were pleasantly surprised, they've also seen two beauitiful sunsets since they arrived on thursday.

Anyway here's the Quiraing shots.

OMG, stunning. What a fantastic light, I am so envious. Great shots, really great.

Andy

Super - well worth the early rise.

I seldom swear around these parts (I'm always on my best behaviour :p) but I feel a well justified 'BLOODY HELL' is required here.

Awesome shots, love them, utterly superb, can't possibly praise them enough / I wish I could produce work of that standard.

VERY well done, you should be extremely proud with yourself (y)

Those are stunning - I hope your friends enjoyed it as well as you did!

They did indeed, an experience they will remember for a long time to come

OMG, stunning. What a fantastic light, I am so envious. Great shots, really great.

Andy

Thank you Andy(y)

Super - well worth the early rise.

Indeed yes, thanks.

I seldom swear around these parts (I'm always on my best behaviour :p) but I feel a well justified 'BLOODY HELL' is required here.

Awesome shots, love them, utterly superb, can't possibly praise them enough / I wish I could produce work of that standard.

VERY well done, you should be extremely proud with yourself (y)

Thanks for the really nice comments.
I am very pleased with these, given that this time last year I was only just thinking about getting a dslr.

You've come a long way in a short time then :eek:

I got my first DSLR about 4 weeks ago now (500D) and I have to admit, I'm still struggling a bit! :thinking:

I'll get there. One day.

You've come a long way in a short time then :eek:

I got my first DSLR about 4 weeks ago now (500D) and I have to admit, I'm still struggling a bit! :thinking:

I'll get there. One day.

Just stick with it, and take heed of critique from others ;)

Makes me want to fire up the camper. It's the time off I'm short of right now!

Fabulous shots and I bet you also got a kick out of showing your friends just what a gorgeous place it is. Worth the early start. :)

Makes me want to fire up the camper. It's the time off I'm short of right now!

Fabulous shots and I bet you also got a kick out of showing your friends just what a gorgeous place it is. Worth the early start. :)

Thanks Ali.
Yep its nice to see it 'through others eyes' so to speak.

Very nice :)

I am glad you didn't try to use a strong grad to balance the foreground. Usually you can tell where toggers have put the grad line. Even when placed well the exposures to me always look surreal and unnatural. It's not that I don't use or not condone the use of grads at all but for some reason they don't work well with this view. I am glad to see yours is a more natural image exposed for the light and probably done with a weaker/more subtle grad.

Last edited:
Two fantastic photos, love the colours in the hills.

So a 'very well done' from me. (y)

Great light and lovely composition. I prefer number 1 as the dark area is smaller and the shot looks more balanced to me.

I am surprised we never bumped into one another when up - so many of us on the island last week!!!

Lovely capture, it's a stunning location is it not? :D

Gary.

I am surprised we never bumped into one another when up - so many of us on the island last week!!!

Lovely capture, it's a stunning location is it not? :D

Gary.

Yes but its a big island :D
I did half expect to see you lot on the quiraing that morning but it was surprisingly quiet.

As I live on Skye (have done for two years now) there's always next time ;)

Yes but its a big island :D
I did half expect to see you lot on the quiraing that morning but it was surprisingly quiet.

As I live on Skye (have done for two years now) there's always next time ;)

Such a luck barsteward! I promise, I will be a not so distant neighbour one day! :D Keeping a keen eye on property ;)

Gary.

Seriously?
Any help/info you need, do not hesitate to ask.
I'm happy to oblige :)

Deadly serious. I am in a weird transition phase with my business. I am either heading to Monaco to live, or I will be buying somewhere in the highlands.

It's 75% Monaco vs 25% Highlands at the moment, but that could all change very quickly.

Gary.

Deadly serious. I am in a weird transition phase with my business. I am either heading to Monaco to live, or I will be buying somewhere in the highlands.

It's 75% Monaco vs 25% Highlands at the moment, but that could all change very quickly.

Gary.

Hmm, I know jack about Monaco but I'm pretty well acquainted with Skye so the offer stands if you need to know anything on that front.

Last edited:
Hmm, I know jack ***** about Monaco but I'm pretty well acquainted with Skye so the offer stands if you need to know anything on that front.

Well, the Highlands criteria is simple. 5 to 6 bedrooms minimum (would prefer double that! :D) loch side, mountains close by, lots of land, and remote ish. Ideally 3 hours or less to Glasgow in the car, although not HUGELY important. An alternative would be, screw Glasgow - and be within 2 to 3 hours of Inverness.

If whatever location had a decent tourist trade, even better.

All pie in the sky at the moment, but one day...soon!

Gary.

Well, the Highlands criteria is simple. 5 to 6 bedrooms minimum (would prefer double that! :D) loch side, mountains close by, lots of land, and remote ish. Ideally 3 hours or less to Glasgow in the car, although not HUGELY important. An alternative would be, screw Glasgow - and be within 2 to 3 hours of Inverness.

If whatever location had a decent tourist trade, even better.

All pie in the sky at the moment, but one day...soon!

Gary.

Sounds great, keep me posted (y)

Back