Rachel Reworked

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
Well, I don't think this is anything you haven't seen from me before with regards to lighting etc. but I took @jugglers point about pores being oversharpened in the last set and wanted to try something different with my post processing. I'd like to know if you guys feel this image is an improvement over the others I've posted?

Viewing the full res version on Flickr is recommended...

RachelMarquez-066 by Graham Mayers, on Flickr

Last edited:

Sorry Graham,
this rework does not work for me…

— this portrait is cold, almost porcelain like
— the tonal range is too far right
— the frame is not cropping her in a flattering way
— she is still a nice presence but where is the charm gone?
— the sharpness is not coherent with the DoF
… I will stop here.

Not sure about the sharpness kodiak has mentioned above, it looks sharp to me, there is a little dof I noticed on the neck but think we're nit-picking to point that out.

Maybe a little warming as kodiak suggested, but if that <is> her skin tone based on correct white-balance then I see no issue. No need to fake something if its not real.

Not sure about whats wrong with the framing, its close but I wouldn't complain about it.

Very attractive - looks like a famous actress that I can't remember (Im not good with famous people anyway) - but looks "familiar" as if I have seen her on the big-screen.

I think its a very good rework of previous shot, especially the skin as I do remember you had a bit of an issue with that the last time.

I think Kodiak knows what he's on about and has much more experience than me and his points may be for a "perfect" image whereas mine is based on my experience level. That would be a 9/10 image for me if not a 9.5/10. But thats just <my> opinion. If you're happier with the image than before (you, no one else) then the direction in which you're heading is going to be right (y)

Sorry Graham,
this rework does not work for me…

— this portrait is cold, almost porcelain like
— the tonal range is too far right
— the frame is not cropping her in a flattering way
— she is still a nice presence but where is the charm gone?
— the sharpness is not coherent with the DoF
… I will stop here.

Thanks for the comment, Daniel.

-- It is indeed not a warm image, but I don't think it's cold and not sure about the porcelain reference? Are you viewing it on a calibrated monitor?
-- Not from where I am standing...
-- What is not flattering? I did wonder about the arm nearest the camera, but other than that, I can't see what isn't flattering?
-- Eye of the beholder?
-- Really not sure about this reference to sharpness and DoF? I think it was shot at f/9 on an 85mm from about 2m away and it's pin sharp. Are you saying it's too sharp?

Not sure about the sharpness kodiak has mentioned above, it looks sharp to me, there is a little dof I noticed on the neck but think we're nit-picking to point that out.

Maybe a little warming as kodiak suggested, but if that <is> her skin tone based on correct white-balance then I see no issue. No need to fake something if its not real.

Not sure about whats wrong with the framing, its close but I wouldn't complain about it.

Very attractive - looks like a famous actress that I can't remember (Im not good with famous people anyway) - but looks "familiar" as if I have seen her on the big-screen.

I think its a very good rework of previous shot, especially the skin as I do remember you had a bit of an issue with that the last time.

I think Kodiak knows what he's on about and has much more experience than me and his points may be for a "perfect" image whereas mine is based on my experience level. That would be a 9/10 image for me if not a 9.5/10. But thats just <my> opinion. If you're happier with the image than before (you, no one else) then the direction in which you're heading is going to be right (y)

Thanks Carl,

I'm not understanding the sharpness/DoF references here :(

Skin tones are good as far as I remember. If anything, I tweaked WB on the previous sets and looking at them now I think they might be too warm. I probably did myself a disservice by doing that, as this image probably doesn't look warm enough when compared to the other images.

In all honesty, I think this is my best skin work to date and I was hoping that would be evident. I'm less concerned with the colour balance/tone as I quite like the 'look' it's got and that's probably a little more subjective than getting the skin processing right.

I am not so sure that we would ever produce 'perfect' images - well not perfect to everyone's tastes, anyway!

Thanks for the comment…
All my observations are based on the relation to the two previous
threads with the same model.

not sure about the porcelain reference?
Yes, the picture is sharp but did you do something to soften her skin texture? …and yes, my monitor is!
What is not flattering?
You centred her body in the frame and that pushes her head too far left.
Are you saying it's too sharp?
No, a lens can never be too sharp… just the sharpening in PP
which does not apply here.

I like it a lot, she's a stunning model and you've lit and posed her really well throughout the set. I quite like the colour treatment and processing looks bang on. If I was gonna critique in a really micro level when you pixel peep I'd clean up the line of her face meeting her hair on the left of the image as you can see a lot of fine hairs being highlighted making it look a bit off but you only notice in close and it doesn't hurt the image.

Lovely shot, excellent processing, the only thing of note is the framing. For me she's too far left in the frame and it would work better if the crop was changed to it cut into her arm on the right side. It'll help thin her arm (not saying she has a flabby arm though) and help the balance of the shot.

It looks cold but I'm on iPad and tend to avoid comments because of this but I agree that it needs some room on the left for me. I'd suggest directing her posture as she looks a little slumped in the shoulders
I'd probably crop it shorter as I'm not a fan of this length, its a nice head shot, or show more of her to show hands and what looks like a nice figure so easy to pose an interesting shot and show off her curves
Hope that doesn't sound too negative as its a nice shot

All my observations are based on the relation to the two previous
threads with the same model.

Yes, the picture is sharp but did you do something to soften her skin texture? …and yes, my monitor is!
You centred her body in the frame and that pushes her head too far left.
No, a lens can never be too sharp… just the sharpening in PP

which does not apply here.

Thanks Daniel, I think I sharpened the previous images in the wrong place in my workflow, so I think it's more to do with seeing the over-sharpened pores in the previous sets and then the relatively unsharpened pores in this image, Similarly, the warmth in the previous set is probably hurting this image when it is seen with that in mind.

I do agree with the comments regarding the crop...

I like it a lot, she's a stunning model and you've lit and posed her really well throughout the set. I quite like the colour treatment and processing looks bang on. If I was gonna critique in a really micro level when you pixel peep I'd clean up the line of her face meeting her hair on the left of the image as you can see a lot of fine hairs being highlighted making it look a bit off but you only notice in close and it doesn't hurt the image.

Thanks Craig. I didn't want to attack the 'peach fuzz' as I wasn't going for a completely clean look, but I do know what you mean :)

Lovely shot, excellent processing, the only thing of note is the framing. For me she's too far left in the frame and it would work better if the crop was changed to it cut into her arm on the right side. It'll help thin her arm (not saying she has a flabby arm though) and help the balance of the shot.

Thanks Sharky, managed to create more space on the left.. (y)

I kinda like the 'coldness' to the image.

Beautiful work as always matey.

Cheers David :D

Beautiful shot and very flattering. Just add some space to the left and...perfect!

Thanks, your wish is... ;)

It looks cold but I'm on iPad and tend to avoid comments because of this but I agree that it needs some room on the left for me. I'd suggest directing her posture as she looks a little slumped in the shoulders
I'd probably crop it shorter as I'm not a fan of this length, its a nice head shot, or show more of her to show hands and what looks like a nice figure so easy to pose an interesting shot and show off her curves
Hope that doesn't sound too negative as its a nice shot

Thanks for the comment :D

I really like this portrait tbh mate, beautiful model & just like I would have shot & processed it. The rework with the extra space is a definite improvement & was a good call, but in general I think you've got a great shot there.
Processing on the face is nicely controlled & the lighting is soft & works really well imo. Only thing I'd change would be slightly softening the lines on her neck where she is turning her head towards the camera - that is not a criticism btw, the shot is great as is but that's just what I would do (y)

The crop provides the icing on the cake to an already great shot (and the skin processing does look better, to my eyes, than the previous ones). Excellent stuff Graham.

Last edited:
There are in my opinion two major elements to this photograph the beauty of the model and the skill of the photographer, both are absolutely outstanding.
I can only dream of producing an image of this quality.

I prefer the second crop myself, although I would have liked to see it a little lower under her bustline, lighting and sharpness is good although a hair light would have been the icing, nice looking model, reminds me of the actress Rachel weisz

Last edited:
Thanks all for the comments.

I had a look at the crop and I think I was hoping to elicit more comments on the processing than the composition, so I neglected that attention to detail...

Oh well, here is a more pleasing crop.

RachelMarquez-066
by Graham Mayers, on Flickr
Love it. I'd be only too happy to create a photo like that.
...and yes, she is a stunning model.

I really like this portrait tbh mate, beautiful model & just like I would have shot & processed it. The rework with the extra space is a definite improvement & was a good call, but in general I think you've got a great shot there.
Processing on the face is nicely controlled & the lighting is soft & works really well imo. Only thing I'd change would be slightly softening the lines on her neck where she is turning her head towards the camera - that is not a criticism btw, the shot is great as is but that's just what I would do (y)

Thanks (y)

Excellent shot, and a beautiful model. 'Nuf said.

Chuck

Cheers :D

I like it a lot.

Thanks a lot :)

The crop provides the icing on the cake to an already great shot (and the skin processing does look better, to my eyes, than the previous ones). Excellent stuff Graham.

Cheers Ian :D

There are in my opinion two major elements to this photograph the beauty of the model and the skill of the photographer, both are absolutely outstanding.
I can only dream of producing an image of this quality.

Thanks Graham (y)

I prefer the second crop myself, although I would have liked to see it a little lower under her bustline, lighting and sharpness is good although a hair light would have been the icing, nice looking model, reminds me of the actress Rachel weisz

Thanks for the comment and I agree with the hair light :)

Thanks Daniel

There's your problem. It's your best skin work to date because it's not evident :)
I like the cool tones - though is it too magenta?. The lighting is great but I'm @BruceMo - I find both crops a little jarring

Very astute, Simon ;)

Not sure about too much magenta - I am struggling with this colour stuff as it is!

Jarring? That's quite an adjective ;)

Love it. I'd be only too happy to create a photo like that.
...and yes, she is a stunning model.

This was the only thing is change. Hair light camera right (model's left) would give it some extra zing, but that's probably being a bit picky!

I viewed your flickr images, they are very good indeed. I think your images have a connection with the subject, they look relaxed with their expression totally spontaneous. With regards to these particular images of Rachel: the original studio shots did have problems with the neck creases, this image is vastly improved. I cant give any critique of the treatment of the skin as I dont believe that much work is needed. Mention of colour cast: probably down to viewing medium. Keep posting, they are images to be proud of, your control of lighting is excellent. Kind regards Gary

This was the only thing is change. Hair light camera right (model's left) would give it some extra zing, but that's probably being a bit picky!

Cheers Shaheed - I had turned both the lights on to the rear of the subject, but the one camera right decided not to play ball and I had to leave it off all through the shoot :( the nice highlights camera left are because of the gridded softbox back there - only wish the one camera right had been up for the job!

I viewed your flickr images, they are very good indeed. I think your images have a connection with the subject, they look relaxed with their expression totally spontaneous. With regards to these particular images of Rachel: the original studio shots did have problems with the neck creases, this image is vastly improved. I cant give any critique of the treatment of the skin as I dont believe that much work is needed. Mention of colour cast: probably down to viewing medium. Keep posting, they are images to be proud of, your control of lighting is excellent. Kind regards Gary

Thanks Gary (y)

Back