Racing with (nearly) no Rules - CanAm, Goodwood MM 2024

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
How did CanAm come about?

"What would happen if we went racing with no car design rules?"

"Well, that would be daft...you have to have some rules!

OK...the cars have to be designed to carry two people.....errr....and the rear wheels need to be faired in...better?"

"Yup"

Well, probably not quite like that, but the end result was the same.

For a few glorious years in the 1960's-70's CanAm was the biggest racing series on the planet.

At this weekends Members meeting there was an astonishing selection of CanAm, many of which ran in a track demonstration - it was tremendous to see, hear and smell these extraordinary cars - for me, especially the Shadows - surely the coolest racing team ever?!

The bizarre 1968 Shadow Lowline Prototype - 10" front wheels, had to be driven splay footed, pop-up aero to assist braking (sadly not working yesterday)

I was hoping to see some photos of today's meeting. That shadow was really something, shame the rad blew on the first lap.Nice pictures. Dont suppose you got any of the Type 66 Lotus?

I'm guessing there was an insane amount of horsepower on that track.

I was hoping to see some photos of today's meeting. That shadow was really something, shame the rad blew on the first lap.Nice pictures. Dont suppose you got any of the Type 66 Lotus?
Hi Brad...thank you, but no, sorry, I didn't cross paths with the Type 66 Lotus.

I'm guessing there was an insane amount of horsepower on that track.
All things are relative, but yes, plenty of power by most measures.

I think the cars typically had ~500bhp in the initial year of Can-Am, but inevitably with no rules on engine specification, there was a pretty spectacular 'arms race' as the years passed - cubic capacity increased and forced induction was introduced. Drivers, who always want 'more power' were heard to mutter "actually, thats probably enough!!!" Not just bhp which reached astronomical levels, but also the torque generated by these engines was mind blowing. The little red car above, weighing about 800kg, has an 8.1 litre Chevy V8 producing in excess of 700bhp and 655lb/ft of torque.

Things peaked with the (relatively staid looking) Porsche 917/30 Spyder which basically killed Can-Am - shame on you Porsche!! It wiped the floor with the field in 1973, winning all 6 races. The flat 12, 5340cc turbocharged engine produced ~1200bhp.

At the hands of Mark Donahue it lapped the Talladega oval at an average speed of ~222mph...the fastest ever closed circuit average speed at the time and remains one of the very fastest closed circuit laps to this day.

Last edited:
Awesome! Shame we can’t hear them as well ;)

Things peaked with the (relatively staid looking) Porsche 917/30 Spyder which basically killed Can-Am - shame on you Porsche!! It wiped the floor with the field in 1973, winning all 6 races. The flat 12, 5340cc turbocharged engine produced ~1200bhp.

Shame on Porsche indeed however the 917 still is one of the most iconic and amazing engine and chassis combinations in Motorsport. I'd give a leg to be able to drive one on track!

Shame on Porsche indeed however the 917 still is one of the most iconic and amazing engine and chassis combinations in Motorsport. I'd give a leg to be able to drive one on track!

I'm happy just to see one in person. That way more HP than I know how to deal with.

Back