Rain on lens?

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been asked many times (I did a search but too many unrelated topics came up)

I have a 450D with the standard kit lens, 50mm 1.8 and Tokina 11-16mm

Outdoors in light drizzle, what happens if some of this drizzle gets onto the front of your lens? Do you typically notice it in shots? Also, what happens when it dries, is there any staining of sorts remaining on the glass that require cleaning? If so, how would you clean?

Ta in advance

Yes, it's noticeable on shots and can leave a white residue when it's dried, although that can depend on what and where you're shooting. Cleaning it off is easy enough, but removing it when it gets on there in the first place is a better idea.

Personally I'd be more concerned about water getting into the non-weatherproof lens and camera and destroying it

just a couple of specs of rain don't make a difference whatsoever, and even fairly large drops and you should be ok. Just give it a quick rub on your shirt (if you use a uv filter) and they'll be gone fine :)

Lens hoods are good for keeping rain off the front element. Trouble is, the hoods on the lens you've listed are quite shallow. The one on my 70-300 is like having a dustbin attached to the front of it!!
As for noticing it in the shots, have a search for the thread on here with pictures taken through a badly smashed UV filter. I think you should be fine, depending on where on the element the drops are though.

I've had this problem recently at whitby. I have a mixture of lenses and a 40D
not the most totally weatherproof.
infact some of the buttons stopped working at one point, but I thought that might be related to the battery I was using being an awkward sod!

anyway I tried to remove most of the raindrops quickly and then wiped the UV filter of rain. However, the rain isn't just water. it's full of particles and near the sea, isn't the cleanest of things. especially if you get coastal spray. you can get lens cleaning solution and disposable paper wipes. very handy for a fiver

hahaha...

Sorry - just spent 2 weeks on Salisbury Plain photographing 11 Light Brigade training for Afghanistan and I got soaked to my socks every bloody day - rain on the lens? Hmmm...

Wipe it off!

Back