Ram upgrade for mac

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Bought a new i mac in December 2019 , 5k retina display with the standard 8gb of Ram that Apple supply.

With the memory hungry apps i now have on i find my computer running a bit slow.

I was told when i bought it that if i wanted to increase the Ram i would have to either buy another 8gb ( 2 X 4gb ) or buy a complete set of 4 X 8gb as i can't mix
4gb and 8gb of memory chips together.

Have read of others just buying 2 X 8gb giving 24gb of Ram. Is this ok to do as i don't want to invalidate the warranty and 24gb of Ram would be more the enough.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi all,

Bought a new i mac in December 2019 , 5k retina display with the standard 8gb of Ram that Apple supply.

With the memory hungry apps i now have on i find my computer running a bit slow.

I was told when i bought it that if i wanted to increase the Ram i would have to either buy another 8gb ( 2 X 4gb ) or buy a complete set of 4 X 8gb as i can't mix
4gb and 8gb of memory chips together.

Have read of others just buying 2 X 8gb giving 24gb of Ram. Is this ok to do as i don't want to invalidate the warranty and 24gb of Ram would be more the enough.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes it's fine as long as the memory spec is the same aside from capacity. You must stagger them. 4, 8, 4, 8 or 8, 4, 8, 4.

Thanks for your quick reply, thought it was ok but best to check first

Back