Ranarama's 52

Sorry all for the tardiness of my reply. I've had a busy weekend and not had time to properly look at TP.

2 - poetry works well Neil, I think I have visited that church without realising where I was, if that makes sense.

3 - very clever lighting and a very cool take on the theme :clap:

Thanks Yv. I know exactly what you mean about the church but my memory is shot (yes, I did mean it with an 'o').

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Love it, love it, love it!

What a way to make a predictable subject interesting!
I can't think of anything more constructive to say - it just ticks all the boxes for me.

Week 1: The colour one is great, although I also like the B&W version. Hard to decide!
Week 2: Lovely atmosphere, and a nice poem.
Week 3: Fantastic imagination, and well pulled off

Well done so far :clap:

One and two are great, but three steals all the attention from them, its fantastic,:clap: i keep having to go back and look again(y)

Thanks all for the comments, I really appreciate it. I hope I haven't peaked too early, not sure how I'm going to top remarks like that.

An excellent take on Chopped (y) really liking it. Eerie...

I'd be lying if I said I was happy with this week's entry. The only time all week I've had for taking photos was about an hour this afternoon and I needed a whole afternoon really. Work's been incredibly busy and although I've got plenty in the archives that I could have posted, the point of this exercise (for me anyway) is to get out and take new photos. At least I did get something new and I know I'm not going to get shots I'm happy with every week, but I think I'm going to call this a place-holder as I'm certain I'll be changing it for something better later in the year.

04%20Street.jpg

I think the processing works, but I can't get my eye to settle and I don't know why. All the pieces seem to be there. Two strong subjects competing for attention maybe, perhaps a shallower depth of field. You could definitely work with that building.

Infact I think that's it. My eye wants to look at the phone box, then look at the street, but it gets dragged up to the interesting building. Possibly if the building wasn't so bright.

Last edited:
As above ;) I like the shot and the processing but with 2 strong focal points I'm not sure what my eyes should be drawn to first.

I think the processing works, but I can't get my eye to settle and I don't know why. All the pieces seem to be there. Two strong subjects competing for attention maybe, perhaps a shallower depth of field. You could definitely work with that building.

Infact I think that's it. My eye wants to look at the phone box, then look at the street, but it gets dragged up to the interesting building. Possibly if the building wasn't so bright.

Thanks for the feedback. I think you've hit on why I don't like it. I'm a bit annoyed I chopped off the back of the left cab too. I was hoping the taxis would help lead the eye through from bottom right (phonebox) to the middle left (the cabs) to the focal point of the building at top (st pauls). I've not got the processing right on the church but didn't have time to fix it as it's too bright as you mentioned. Back to the old drawing board.

Tracer & Foggy thank you too for your comments.

I also want to just say that I'm going to be mostly off line for the next week so if you do comment, thanks in advance, but also that I'll not have much of a chance to comment on others. I'll do what I can to catch up when I can.

I know it's very cliche but did you think of keeping the phone box or the cab in colour as a way to draw the eye one way or another?

I know it's very cliche but did you think of keeping the phone box or the cab in colour as a way to draw the eye one way or another?

Lol, you've just suggested my absolute pet hate about photography. I see what you're getting at I just can't bring myself to do it.

Some really interesting shots so far! I really like street for the fact that you have 2 subjects battling for attention. It's makes it quite dramatic and it works for me. Nicely done! (y)

I'm not sure Neil... there's something odd with the tops of the towers, it looks like they are leaning backward, and the bright band through the middle, sky and building ...

3 icons in one shot and very few people, thats some going Neil, what syour secret? :LOL:

Seriously though, I can see where you were going with it, but I think I might have tempted to minimise with DoF one of the elements, either the call box or the cathedral. Having said that, the dramatic mono processing works well for me, so its definately not all bad (y)

Some really interesting shots so far! I really like street for the fact that you have 2 subjects battling for attention. It's makes it quite dramatic and it works for me. Nicely done! (y)

Thanks and as I said before, apologies for the slow reply.

I'm not sure Neil... there's something odd with the tops of the towers, it looks like they are leaning backward, and the bright band through the middle, sky and building ...

The towers leaning is caused by the wide angle lens. I've had a go at correcting it in PS but probably needs a bit extra.

3 icons in one shot and very few people, thats some going Neil, what syour secret? :LOL:

Seriously though, I can see where you were going with it, but I think I might have tempted to minimise with DoF one of the elements, either the call box or the cathedral. Having said that, the dramatic mono processing works well for me, so its definately not all bad (y)

Thanks Yv. Fair point about the DOF. Don't think I was going to get much shallower at 16mm though.

------------------------

Speed: For me, the moral of this week has been work with what you've got. I've been in the Lake district for the last week and speed was not in evidence a lot of the time. I was at a stage where I thought I'd just do it when I got back to London after deleting a few pitiful efforts at getting a sheep using panning. Then I found a waterfall that was much more obliging. I'm quite pleased with this as it was hand held (gotta love IS sometimes) but maybe less pleased with the picture having got much better photos from the trip that weren't theme based...

05%20Speed.jpg

Hard to believe that's handheld, cool shot though. Also i missed your street picture. I actually really like it. The PP is very interesting.

Speed doesn't have to mean fast ;), you've worked with whats available and come away with a shot that fits the theme. That's a pretty good shot hand held with a little help from technology :D

That speed shot is pretty damn impressive for handheld. The rocks in the foreground are incredibly sharp and some very nice movement in the water.
This is an interpretation that I would never have thought of and I'm amazed to see 2 similar takes on it this week. Where the other one that I've seen was full of colour, the B&W gives a totally different feel and makes the shot more about the textures.

Is it really bad of me to want to know what a panned image of a sheep looks like though? :LOL:

I missed your street, but absolutely agree with the other comments. Brilliant concept, but a bit too much competing for my attention.

Your street image is great with something of interest at every point. Not so sure about this weeks, would have liked to see a bit more in the image and it seem a little dark to me too. Nice concept, although panned sheep sounds interesting too!

Like your speed shot, I do like water shots and tried something similar on Saturday but the bank was just mud on one side and didn't look right at all.

It's impressive as hand held and I like the black & white as well

a few pitiful efforts at getting a sheep[/IMG]

Is it really bad of me to want to know what a panned image of a sheep looks like

:LOL:

I was more interested in your comment regarding a panned shot of sheep too. I think there should be a new forum rule that everyone should attempt panning sheep. Sounds like a hilarious idea! :)

I like the shot Neil, the water sure looks speedy. And the detail is good...

I'm with Sarah and Lee though... what does a panned sheep look like :D...

Don't lets end this 52 on talk of panning sheep... I'm sure you could crowbar that shot into another week... keep going. :)

Hi Neil. I'm playing catchup with your thread. I realy enjoyed your week 3 entry, a bit of dark humour.
I like the street scene but as i think somebody said not sure where the main subject is. Your last entry definitely shows speed, so well done.

Hard to believe that's handheld, cool shot though. Also i missed your street picture. I actually really like it. The PP is very interesting.

Speed doesn't have to mean fast ;), you've worked with whats available and come away with a shot that fits the theme. That's a pretty good shot hand held with a little help from technology :D

That speed shot is pretty damn impressive for handheld. The rocks in the foreground are incredibly sharp and some very nice movement in the water.
This is an interpretation that I would never have thought of and I'm amazed to see 2 similar takes on it this week. Where the other one that I've seen was full of colour, the B&W gives a totally different feel and makes the shot more about the textures.

Is it really bad of me to want to know what a panned image of a sheep looks like though? :LOL:

I missed your street, but absolutely agree with the other comments. Brilliant concept, but a bit too much competing for my attention.

Your street image is great with something of interest at every point. Not so sure about this weeks, would have liked to see a bit more in the image and it seem a little dark to me too. Nice concept, although panned sheep sounds interesting too!

Like your speed shot, I do like water shots and tried something similar on Saturday but the bank was just mud on one side and didn't look right at all.

It's impressive as hand held and I like the black & white as well

:LOL:

I was more interested in your comment regarding a panned shot of sheep too. I think there should be a new forum rule that everyone should attempt panning sheep. Sounds like a hilarious idea! :)

I like the shot Neil, the water sure looks speedy. And the detail is good...

I'm with Sarah and Lee though... what does a panned sheep look like :D...

Don't lets end this 52 on talk of panning sheep... I'm sure you could crowbar that shot into another week... keep going. :)

Eveyone, my apologies for taking so long to reply! I've been so busy at work and everything else over the last few weeks I've only just had a chance to catch up and I'll be honest, "present" got me stumped for a while there too.

I never did keep a panned sheep shot, sorry to disappoint you all but it's on the agenda for the next walking holiday.

It's a 3-in-1 post this week as I'm playing catch up so first up "Present". I think it needs a little explaining which goes against what I was aiming to do with this project originally. I set out with the mind set of being comissioned to get a photo for a magazine with an article called 'present', 'speed' etc, and the photo should say that to most people. It seems to have turned into something a little more personal, which I suppose it not such a bad thing...

But I digress. This was my first SLR, a "present" (or a hand-me-down if you prefer) from my father-in-law a while after I got my first digital compact camera (Canon S50) and started to express an interest in photography. Although I don't use it often, or at all, these days it's still important to me as it taught me a few things...Firstly that photography is something I really wanted to do, secondly that I really did need an SLR, and finally that if I was going to be a photographer it would have to be with a digital SLR. Nothing wrong with film if that's your thing but I love the freedom, speed and experimentation that digital allows and having grown up with computers I'm happier editing on a PC than in a dark room. Enough waffle, here's the entry complete with glowing magenta background for that classic 80's look...

06%20Present.jpg

Next up is people. I wanted to show people rather than a single person in a portrait and I thought a big crowd would be good. I considered delaying this shot until the Cheltenham Festival as there'll be some great shots, but this project's waited long enough already. Besides, if I go I'll probably end up drinking too much beer to take anything decent. So this is at the rather more serene and sober British Museum. I had this shot in mind before I went. I'm still not sure it's quite right as I don't think the people in the middle are in an interesting enough pose but the rest of it was about right and I could have been there all day waiting for the right shot.

07%20People.jpg

And finally on to mechanical. The British Museum is interminally boring to me so I headed to the much more appealing Imperial War Museum. I only went there for a 'Mechanical' shot and ended up staying for 4 hours looking at the exhibits. If you've not been the holocaust exhibition is a must and is surely the most moving display in London.

This photo is actually from a large Argentinian gun. I don't know the official term but it's part of the conveyer belt that carries the bullets up to the gun. I'm not sure it says mechanical but it's close enough I think and at least topical with Argentina kicking up a fuss about the Falklands again. At least that hasn't come to anything more than talking...yet.

08%20Mechanical.jpg

P.S. I try not to look at others posts if I've not taken a photo for the theme yet which is why I've not been commenting on other's photos in a while. I'll be catching up over the next couple of days.:)

Cracking picture of the Canon. Sharp and detailed and the background is different ;)

Nice idea for the people shot. You've got the right amount of movement from everyone, but as you say the two in the middle don't quite have the pose to give much interest.

The ammo belt is a really good image. Strong and interesting lines and well processed. Like a lot.

Well done for catching up (y)

:clap: Brilliant catch up Neil!
(Just a shame about that panned sheep :LOL:)

Present : I really like this one. Very effective and atmospheric background and beautiful crisp image of the camera.

People : Great concept and it must have taken some real patience to get 2 stationary people in amongst the crowd.
Something a bit lacking for me though - maybe as you said the pose isn't dynamic enough or maybe it could do with a few more people whizzing around. Very, very close to being spot on though.

Mechanical : My favourite out of the 3. I had no idea what it was and I don't think that really matters. IMO it's strong enough to stand as a "mechanical" shot on its own without explanation.
Having said that, with the realisation of what you were actually shooting it adds a whole other element of interest to it.
B&W conversion is spot on too (y)

Well caught up Neil... I shall be watching for that panned sheep later in the year ;)...

Present, I like this, the colour really helps offset the camera, and the detail is good and sharp.

People, I think you're right... the movement and stillness combine into a good image, but there just is something about the 2 that's lacking. I don't know if closer in to them would help, but then you'd lose the movement.

Mechanical, Excellent, this is the best of the three.

Cracking picture of the Canon. Sharp and detailed and the background is different ;)

Nice idea for the people shot. You've got the right amount of movement from everyone, but as you say the two in the middle don't quite have the pose to give much interest.

The ammo belt is a really good image. Strong and interesting lines and well processed. Like a lot.

Well done for catching up (y)

Thanks

:clap: Brilliant catch up Neil!
(Just a shame about that panned sheep :LOL:)

Present : I really like this one. Very effective and atmospheric background and beautiful crisp image of the camera.

People : Great concept and it must have taken some real patience to get 2 stationary people in amongst the crowd.
Something a bit lacking for me though - maybe as you said the pose isn't dynamic enough or maybe it could do with a few more people whizzing around. Very, very close to being spot on though.

Mechanical : My favourite out of the 3. I had no idea what it was and I don't think that really matters. IMO it's strong enough to stand as a "mechanical" shot on its own without explanation.
Having said that, with the realisation of what you were actually shooting it adds a whole other element of interest to it.
B&W conversion is spot on too (y)

Thanks for commenting Sarah. Interesting to hear your thoughts on mechanical. I thought I was pushing my luck a little but I liked the shot.

Well caught up Neil... I shall be watching for that panned sheep later in the year ;)...

Present, I like this, the colour really helps offset the camera, and the detail is good and sharp.

People, I think you're right... the movement and stillness combine into a good image, but there just is something about the 2 that's lacking. I don't know if closer in to them would help, but then you'd lose the movement.

Mechanical, Excellent, this is the best of the three.

Thanks for the comments. Seems the consensus says mechanical is favourite then! I was worried it was a little boring. Actually I was worried they were all a little boring.

3 great shots there.. superb catch up!

love the magenta light on the camera shot.. nice and sharp too

agree with your own critique on the people shot but its a great idea and still works for me for the theme.. shame those two in the middle weren't posing for you :)

exellent mechanical shot.. the B+W conversion suits and its focused perfectly, fab DOF

Nice catchup! I'd have to say that all three of these are working nicely for me. I think the 'people' shot works well even if the static pair's pose isn't great. I like the fact that they are sat on what appears to be a more prominent line in the flooring. All good stuf IMHO! (y)

3 great shots there.. superb catch up!

love the magenta light on the camera shot.. nice and sharp too

agree with your own critique on the people shot but its a great idea and still works for me for the theme.. shame those two in the middle weren't posing for you :)

exellent mechanical shot.. the B+W conversion suits and its focused perfectly, fab DOF

Thanks for the comments.

Nice catchup! I'd have to say that all three of these are working nicely for me. I think the 'people' shot works well even if the static pair's pose isn't great. I like the fact that they are sat on what appears to be a more prominent line in the flooring. All good stuf IMHO! (y)

Cheers. That line was more dominant than the others and I tried to emphasise it a bit in PS. Glad you noticed(y)

Here's 'Play'. Not sure where this idea came from other than I used to play football and then got unfit, and I used to play piano until I realised I was crap. Ah well, at least I'm persevering with photography...

09%20Play.jpg

That's a brilliant and well executed idea. Maybe needs a touch more contrast and the ball is a little difficult to see (I'm on an uncalibrated monitor here so could be wrong). But I love it. Where did you find a keyboard big enough to play football on? :D

That's a brilliant and well executed idea. Maybe needs a touch more contrast and the ball is a little difficult to see (I'm on an uncalibrated monitor here so could be wrong). But I love it. Where did you find a keyboard big enough to play football on? :D

Thanks Darren. I know what you mean about the contrast. I did ease back on it as the knobs at the top started to block up. Probably should have done it a bit selectively. Agreed about the ball too. I might have another go at the processing.

And whay do you mean about the keyboard? It was a genuine straight non-shopped photo your honour ;)

I like your Play shot (although first time I looked at it I thought they were playing in a bowling alley :bonk:) Apart from increasing the contrast on the ball I think I'd consider photoshopping out the knobs on top as it's not obvious how they fit onto a keyboard and they distract me slightly from the footballers.

Having said that it's still a good shot and well 'shopped as well as a very imaginative take on Play (y)

Really clever idea for play, agree with earlier comments that more contrast would help bring out the ball.

Congratulations on a unique take on the theme.

A very clever idea and well implemented... a touch more contrast as has been said, but I like it.

Back