rapeseed fields

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
popped out for half hour today to local field to try some long exposure shots of the rather nice clouds and a lone tree thats in the field.
clouds were moving to slow though but instead was presented with a nice field of rapeseed, so grabbed a few shots just for the heck of it.

17456686475_babe234a0d_b.jpg

17269174690_87b22f8fb8_b.jpg

16834305714_4f4cd658d9_b.jpg

In #1 the tree is too central for me and in #2 it dominates but in #3 it is more subtle and both field and sky tend to lead into it ... that's the one I prefer :)

#3 For me.:)

Just looking at your photos made me sneeze, nice colours and going against popular opinion its no 2 for me

one more with tree off to one side . as for the PP. er actually very little been done. imported from lightroom. a tiny bit of exposure adjustment and thats about it.

this one has had a little added colour boost to the sky just to show the difference

17434873436_44aa7c843d_b.jpg

No1 would have been my choice, if you had the option of taking a few steps to the left and putting the tree more off centre.
Still like the vibrant colours and the blue/white sky and cloud contrast

decided to go back the next day and see if i could improve things a little. wasnt as nice in terms of clouds/ blue sky but walked a little way around the field to try get a better angle on the tree and fields and came up with this one.

17361909940_a6d22ee476_b.jpg

Dean, the latest one puts the tree in a far better position.

I would be tempted to get the camera higher if possible to look over the foreground rapeseed more.

I also just moved the pic down the screen and cropped off most of the foreground rapeseed just below the tree line on the right making a panorama shot - IMO that makes for a very strong shot.

Also, if possible, I'd look to try and clone/desaturate the red on the left - are they farm machinery perhaps?

Dean, the latest one puts the tree in a far better position.

I would be tempted to get the camera higher if possible to look over the foreground rapeseed more.

I also just moved the pic down the screen and cropped off most of the foreground rapeseed just below the tree line on the right making a panorama shot - IMO that makes for a very strong shot.

Also, if possible, I'd look to try and clone/desaturate the red on the left - are they farm machinery perhaps?

farm buildings ... in fact there were two large white ones there that looked like marquees which i cloned out but decided to leave the remainder in . i actually crouched down a little for this shot as wanted the lower angle. did shoot one higher up ( the rapeseed is at about 4 feet high currently ) but wasnt happy with the result.
in my minds eye i knew i wanted to get the line of white flowers in the shot that gave a subtle break in the rapeseed. think i also had the rule of 3rds in my head at the time and couldnt decide between a 3rd of sky or a 3rd of rapeseed.
one of those shots i think i could go back to 20 times and make minor changes and never be 100% sure or just leave as is and accept it for what it is.

farm buildings ... in fact there were two large white ones there that looked like marquees which i cloned out but decided to leave the remainder in . i actually crouched down a little for this shot as wanted the lower angle. did shoot one higher up ( the rapeseed is at about 4 feet high currently ) but wasnt happy with the result.
in my minds eye i knew i wanted to get the line of white flowers in the shot that gave a subtle break in the rapeseed. think i also had the rule of 3rds in my head at the time and couldnt decide between a 3rd of sky or a 3rd of rapeseed.
one of those shots i think i could go back to 20 times and make minor changes and never be 100% sure or just leave as is and accept it for what it is.

Totally agree and that's the beauty and dilemma of photography I find. I like the letterbox crop so I tend to see shots in that way as well.

yeah i like the what i call the semi pano ( 16:9 ) but i find its not a big seller and most people want standard 4:3 format

The last shot has the better composition Dean, but whatever PP's been carried out has given the sky an odd colour cast, and there's a halo along the tree line on the left.
I'd also crop some off the bottom in that one.
The cloud formations in this one are lovely though....2 different layers.

i just got new varifocals.. think i need to change em lol i cant see the halo's even squinting :p
as for the sky colour, ACR slider adjustment probably went a little towards the purples though it was a more overcast flatter sky than the day before when previous ones were shot... as for the clouds.. 2 layers? i failed my geography at school lol.. all this cumulus, cirrus, status etc ( nimbus?? ) are beyond me lol

ok last edit.. before i starting pulling what little hair i have out lol

cropped, adjusted for more natural sky, brightened up a little.
17589748672_f232c68908_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back