Rare Species Conservation Centre

Name
Selena
Edit My Images
Yes
I really do love this place. The keepers are so friendly, I had a lovely conversation with one about how their breeding programmes are going (really well by the way, looks like there will be more cloudies and some sun bear cubs on the way soon).

Not an angle I usually go for but I think it works well with this boy
CG6A1933 by S.Chambers Photography, on Flickr

This beautiful binturong boy was hand-reared from 4 weeks as he fell from the den and mum ignored him after that. He's a hell of a character for such a little ball of fur.
CG6A1986 by S.Chambers Photography, on Flickr

CG6A2063 by S.Chambers Photography, on Flickr

Crap photo but the enclosure is very challenging. This is a fanaloka baby and is, apparently, the first to be born in Europe! Adorable and tiny but speedy!
CG6A2174 by S.Chambers Photography, on Flickr

Ignore the sharpening, Flickr's done a job on it again.

Really must try and get down there soon Selena.
Some absolutely stunning pictures, love the cloudy and the Binturong, but they do seem to be accident prone

Lovely set Selena (y)
I think the angle on the cloudy works well and the Binturong is really cute. The Fishing Cat is super though as I remember it as being quite a challenging little area it's in.

Thanks a lot guys.
I like the pose too, he is very cool! He's just learning that he can use his tail to hang on rather than falling off things :) He'll be properly introduced to their unrelated female binturong later in the year. They do have supervised play dates at the moment but the female is more interested in playing with the keepers at the moment.
As long as the fishing cats are sitting on a rock, they're easy to get. If they're wandering around it's a bit more difficult without a short lens.

I'd definitely recommend it. You get amazing access to the animals, to the point where the animals sometimes get within the minimum focus distance of a 40mm pancake (~25cm). The animals respond well to the contact though and the place has very few visitors. I was there almost all day and there were probably 50 visitors throughout the day, maximum.

Thanks for posting these Selena, amazing, have just shown my other half these she loved them, we haven't seen any of these before
Will have to make the trip down south :)

Thanks Pete. Definitely worth the trip, although I believe this place will be closed from October til next March.
I'd love to do a zoo tour of the country at some point though.

Lovely set Selena, actually #3 just takes it from #1 IMO and is my favourite,
is it a Geoffroy's?

And I've never heard of a fanaloka before, had to go Google it.
And I see that its a Civet :)

#3 is a fishing cat, they don't normally pose like that though (for me, anyway). I've never seen a Geoffroy's actually.

I'd never heard of them either but they're very cute!
I also got a brief glimpse of a rusty-spotted kitten after the tiger tour but then they saw the keeper. She'd had to remove the kittens (9 weeks old) so they could be vaccinated and chipped and apparently they haven't forgiven her yet :D

For anyone thinking of visiting: They're hoping to have giant otters by next spring, they've already started building the enclosure. Nocturnal house should be finished then too including tarsiers. There may be sun bear cubs. Maned wolves should be on show, bush dogs will be in their new enclosure, sun bears will have access to the extension of their enclosure.

Last edited:
#3 is a fishing cat, they don't normally pose like that though (for me, anyway). I've never seen a Geoffroy's actually.
They are very similar, to look at, in images, It had to be one or the other :D
Sounds like they are working hard there. :)

I must make the effort and get here before the winter closure.
Lovely set Selena...love the first one. Looks full of mischief.

Thanks for posting those, I live a couple of miles away but never really knew what was there, I really must visit one day!
Allan

Back