Reasons to or not to consider a dslr.

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
Hi folks now you probably hear this allot but i am considering a entry level dslr, the Nikon D3200 for my price range, I am currently using a Canon sx40 and done lots off photos ranging from landscapes and wildlife and close up / macros and the upgrade is to further my skills and the better the photos i take. One problem and that is im trying to convince my partner in letting me get one :D. SO the question is also do i really need a dslr.

I like to capture birds in flight and more action / interesting shots of wildlife. I will keep and still use my Canon as its a good lil camera to carry about and do wide range of shots quick and easy.
Just feel like the move to bigger cameras now to further the learning curves.

So after spending ages trying to convince my partner on why i should and shouldn't and from researching on line im still no better.
I know the Canon focus is slow for BIF but i have seen that it can be done , so really well just give the me reason to get a dslr or reasons not be that be great help.

Thanks and sorry for my bad typing haha.

Why would you convince your partner of the why you should/shouldn't have a DSLR. Stick with the should.

Other than that get one. Your subject matter will require it as you'll have a lot more flexibility with different focal length lenses. Happily, it will also cost you more:naughty:

Thanks for the reply BMD, well she says i should buy a new or second hand camera as need it for doing car licence etc and saving for a car but i can do that as well, so im trying to convince her the reasons why I need or should get new camera.:D

dslrs have better focusing of moving subjects, the ovf is better for tracking moving things than a evf, and they typicaly have much better shutter delay, and best form factor for long focal lengths, larger sensor also gives shallower depth of field which can be good.

for other stuff other formats can be just as good or better, and for under 100mm you can get better than dslr results (leica M and sigma dp, x100 etc)

Thanks for the reply BMD, well she says i should buy a new or second hand camera as need it for doing car licence etc and saving for a car but i can do that as well, so im trying to convince her the reasons why I need or should get new camera.:D

Best keep at it then. You know you need one:bat:

" birds in flight and more action / interesting shots of wildlife" can be a very difficult subject.

Consistent success and really good quality usually involves a significant investment in prime lenses which are very expensive …… the body is usually the cheapest item of expenditure but a basic body for many is a DSLR towards the "higher end"

Last edited:
" birds in flight and more action / interesting shots of wildlife" can be a very difficult subject.

Consistent success and really good quality usually involves a significant investment in quality lenses which are very expensive …… the body is usually the cheapest item of expenditure

Yeah i already researched that and can spend loads on lens but doubt i will though.
dslrs have better focusing of moving subjects, the ovf is better for tracking moving things than a evf, and they typicaly have much better shutter delay, and best form factor for long focal lengths, larger sensor also gives shallower depth of field which can be good.

for other stuff other formats can be just as good or better, and for under 100mm you can get better than dslr results (leica M and sigma dp, x100 etc)

Thats why i am considering it for the focus is better and able to track the motion of wildlife etc. Also agree that smaller mm lengh can get good results just i think more difficult to get.

I learned that using what i got and shooting rapid fire and track focusing on the birds eyes etc can get the results but I know they be no where as good as with a dslr.

I bought my first SLR nearly 40 years ago (yeah, it's scary) and my DSLR in 2008, and they still have a significant edge for some things, but I'm getting tired of the weight and bulk, which also extends to the lenses required to take full advantage of them. I don't do much photography involving fast action, very low light or long lenses and I only take a compact when I'm travelling now.

I'd love a Fuji X100 or something like that, but it's way out of reach for me right now. I also have a hankering for a Leica M3 and I'd be tempted to go down that route if I had the cash to do it. Maybe one day..............!

MPB do awesome deals on 2nd hand DSLRs with nice warranty. If you have a hankering for a DSLR then go for one. I love mine

What I would do is go try out a couple cameras, see how they feel. Canon dslr's don't focus slowly I use them for birds and wildlife and I have never suffered with slow focus. I would also 're think the entry level as you may soon out grow that to .

I bought my first SLR nearly 40 years ago (yeah, it's scary) and my DSLR in 2008, and they still have a significant edge for some things, but I'm getting tired of the weight and bulk, which also extends to the lenses required to take full advantage of them. I don't do much photography involving fast action, very low light or long lenses and I only take a compact when I'm travelling now.

I'd love a Fuji X100 or something like that, but it's way out of reach for me right now. I also have a hankering for a Leica M3 and I'd be tempted to go down that route if I had the cash to do it. Maybe one day..............!

leica's are special, beyond the mere specs, its abit like gold or diamonds, you just really really want them when you get your hands on them

Back