Reclamation - 10 year project

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I'm going to use this thread as a way to help me sort through nearly 1800 plus frames taken over the last ten years. It didn't start out as a project idea when I first wandered into the disused sand washing plant at Southport. All I was doing was taking random snaps having just got back into photography for its own sake with my first DSLR. Over time the place got to me and I started using it as somewhere to explore different approaches to making pictures. It was in 2013 that it became a project to record the changes taking place as the seasons progressed and eventually as work began to 'restore' the place.

Most of the infrastructure had been removed by the time I got there and it was being taken over by nature, rubbish dumpers and used for recreation. Right now there is less wildlife in the place than before the restoration took place. Reclamation refers both to nature taking it over and the subsequent tidying up. My only regret is that I never took any portraits of the people who used the sandplant for fun - be that birdwatching or riding motorbikes around it.

With the work pretty much done for now (until it gets re purposed) the 10 year mark seems a good time to try to make something of these pictures.

Even though abandoned things appeared, got moved around and disappeared from the place. Almost every time I'd go back it was changed. Sometimes the firm that worked it had been in and shifted something, mostly it was those using it for recreation who had done something.

This is an overview from 2013 with RSPB Marshide reserve to the right to set the scene followed by some pictures picked at random.

DJL_9442.jpg

Two from my first visit in 2010.

051.jpg

056.jpg

It's been a combination of 'landscapes' and details for the most part. Trying to capture the strangeness and how nature doesn't seem to mind rubbish in the way people do. This is probably an example of what some call 'edgelands' where the urban or industrial meets the natural environment. Places which always fascinate me.

DJL_6214.jpg

DJL_2466.jpg

My visits were mostly at weekends or evenings which meant I missed most of the reclamation work going on. Strictly speaking the public shouldn't have been in the plant anyway, so I have few pictures of work actually going on.

DL2_9461.jpg

From here on I'll post pictures chronologically as I sift through my files.

I spent a significant part of my childhood and youth exploring "edgelands". I lived close to Orgreave colliery and coking plant (made infamous by the "Battle of Orgreave" during the miner's strike in the 1980s). The area has changed dramatically in the last thirty or so years. All the colliery buildings are long gone, demolished when the site moved temorarily to opencast working (sadly, one of the building's lost was Orgreave Hall, which dated back to the 1700s). After the opencast operation concluded the area was reclaimed for housing and leisure. The large slag-heap is now a grassy hill, the areas full of slurry ponds where we would catch frogs and newts as boys are now long gone and modern housing and industrial units have taken their place.

I'm certain that some cursory investigation would reveal remnants of the industrial heritage of the place though. There are always things left behind.

I'm certain that some cursory investigation would reveal remnants of the industrial heritage of the place though. There are always things left behind.
I stumbled on some old colliery buildings a good few years ago. They weren't unknown, but I wasn't aware of them. I took some photos messing about with a new lens. A couple of years ago I thought I'd go back and make a better job of it. The buildings were gone as was much of the other detritus. It was difficult to find where the buildings had stood.

I still haven't done anything with this. :rolleyes:

But after today's visit I guess I'll have to draw it to a close or face six months in jail! :oops: :$

I was going to have a lengthy rant, but I'll leave it with these pics...

_7519903.jpg

_7519917.jpg

_7519926.jpg

_7519910.jpg

Back