Recommend a ball head

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Gitzo 1541T and I'm hitting the limits of the ball head on it - it's just not solid enough for a heavy camera (TBH way beyond rated weight limit).

Here's the spec of what I need:
Ballhead
Small and light as possible but needs to hold at least 5 kilos
Must take Arca plates (either natively or via a really really solid adapter) - actually Kirk L plates
Money, um, no object (it's to hold a Hasselblad to an exotic bit of carbon fibre - I can't really skimp)

Obvious candidate is the GH2781T but it kind of bugs me to pay for a QR version and then pay another 38 quid for an Arca adapter....

Anything else I should know about?

I've been using a Benro Ballhead and tripod, it may be a bit below your budget but it's a beautifully made piece of kit. In the US it is sold as Induro, Scott Bourne tends to not mind paying for quality and he seems to like them.

Oooo the B00 looks absolutely PERFECT. If only somewhere in the UK sold it :(

Oooo the B00 looks absolutely PERFECT. If only somewhere in the UK sold it :(

What!!! You want to put a Hasselblad on a B-00 head? :eek: That thing is tiny, for the smallest travel tripods. Benro is excellent (from the DC's Store link posted) but you need a B-2 or J-2. Benro is now sold by Warehouse Express, amongst others, but the range is limited.

Good review of ball heads here http://www.traumflieger.de/desktop/ballhead/ballheads.php Go to pages 3 and 4 for the quality heads and run a translation.

Edit: Benro is distributed by Kenro in UK, but much cheaper from DS's Store on ebay. Induro is sold by Calumet. Markins Q3 always gets rave reviews, from here https://www.photoproshop.com/index.php/cPath/21?osCsid=gtu3a5e5drsqgn7jk3r3fqau50 I think this PhotoClam head is actually a Markins Q3 underneath, with a cool panning plate on top (y) http://www.dentonimages.com/page.php?id=Photo_Clam_Pro_Gold_II_Easy_PQR_Review - not sure where you can get them in the UK though. Feisol also have a good rep http://www.feisoluk.com/Heads/c27/index.html?osCsid=28221e2c3f7c41cf31669c78930b424c and are Chinese Arca-Swiss copies, as are Triopo. Not forgetting the other obvious choices like Really Right Stuff (very expensive after you've paid duty and shipping), Kirk, Acratech (don't rate them personally) and of course Arca-Swiss. Tons of choice, but my Benro J-2 is as good as anything I've ever tried and half the price of some others.

Last edited:
I agree with Kokakaste - the Markins Q3 would seem to fit the bill, especially the Q3T - designed specifically to go with the Gitzo Traveller tripods. I have an M10 and it's a fantastic head.

What!!! You want to put a Hasselblad on a B-00 head? :eek: That thing is tiny, for the smallest travel tripods.

Nah the current head is rated to like 2 kilos or something and it's almost OK ;) The 'blad won't take an exposure over something like 72 seconds anyway.

Markins Q3 always gets rave reviews,

Yeah they look a perfect match - but there are a few grumbles about them on FM - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/952079/0 - lot of money to risk on a slippy head :(

Great review site BTW - the Q3 looks good but I'm slightly concerned about "the little faux pas with the nachwackelnden locking button" :thinking:

@Tijuana - hadn't heard of Cullman heads - thanks.

Oooooo. I'm so fickle.

First I was Benro. Then I was seduced by the glossy sales pitch, err, I mean "reviews" of the Markins :). Now that Acratech looks exactly the kind of thing Nasa would approve of.

Decisions, decisions. Anybody get any first hand experience on one of these on a 1541? Um, preferably with a chunky 'blad on top.

Arca Swiss Z1 with quickset (avoid the flip lock) from Robert White, should do the trick, ring them and ask, they are really helpful.

I have one of the original Acratech heads, whilst nice and light it had a tendency to creep, only a little but enough to loose composition on macro stuff.

Looks great - but it weighs more than the tripod....

Anybody familiar with FLM ballheads?

Link post #7 ;) They're mostly all there, good review site. How's your German?

RRS gear is very nice, but very expensive, and very very expensive by the time you've paid the shipping and taxes.

PS. Estimated cost to buy and import a BH-55 and a BH1-L ($455 + $183) = $638. (plus shipping & insurance $50).

This gives a total customs value of £434 (plus duty & vat).
So total landed cost = £528.

Link post #7 ;) They're mostly all there, good review site. How's your German?

Not as good as Google's ;)

Thanks - I'd missed the FLM because they only reviewed a really expensive version.

Jonathan would need a BH1-L for his Hasselblad ($183) http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=LPLATES-HASSY&key=cat

I already have that ;) Or rather the equally stupidly expensive Kirk one. Very nice item ;)

RRS looks gorgeous but pricey AND heavy :( I think I see a Markins in my future...

I would never buy anything from RRS.

Since you're concerned about the base on the Markins Q3, what about the Q10? It's a bit bigger and heavier, but still relatively small and light compared to many and I've never had any issue with the panning base on my M10 (the older model).

I was thinking that too.

Same here as I'm thinking of getting one of their heads.

I have a Manfrotto ART 168 that I've had for years. It's rock solid and takes a massive load, but it's not exactly small or light though.

It's a moral/political issue rather than one of the quality of their products. It's been beaten to death on many forums and I don't want to derail the OP's thread. Google RRS and Proposition 8 for full details.

It's a moral/political issue rather than one of the quality of their products. It's been beaten to death on many forums and I don't want to derail the OP's thread. Google RRS and Proposition 8 for full details.

Oh, wow.

Yeah - they have the right to use their money any way they please. Just like I do.

Markins then.......

I use a 503cw with winder and 250mm, 50mm and 120mm lenses on a Gitzo 1548 with BH55 head and a Gitzo 3541 with Manfrotto 468mgrc with Kirk QR.

Both are absolutely rock solid with no movement, that"s even using a 250mm which is a big piece of glass.

The Manfrotto hydrostatic head is really under rated, extremely well made and more importantly, light in weight.

Used this combo with a Pentax 67 althgough that's better suited to the 1548 and BH55.

Back