Recommend a ND filter

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking for a ND filter for my camera, as I really like the look of (and want to get involved in) long exposure photography. I am a noob to photography, and have quite a tight budget at the minute. I currently have a Nikon D3200 with the 18-55mm Kit Lens, and a 55-200mm Lens is on its way (ordered yesterday). Ideally I would like something that can be used during day light (to catch cloud movement), and after sunset (for misty water effect).

I found this pack of filters on amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Opteka-Defi...80163&sr=8-1&keywords=Nikon+nd+filter+18-55mm). Is this a good pack to get me started with using filters? Would this pack even fit my lenses?

im more a fan of the square rectangle filters, eg cokin, hitech, and lee- with the main purpose of only buying one filter of the desired type, and a cheap adapter ring to fit each lens.... if you bought circular ones then you'd need to buy another whole load of them to use with your next lens and before long- a few lens later, you've got half a camera shop on your back being lugged around...

cokin are the cheaper ones, hitech slightly more and lee more expensive still. you pay for what you get at the end of the day... some of the cheaper ones cokin have been said to have colour casts, now depending on how serious your going to get some would be bothered and some wouldn't necessarily be so hyped about this.... ive got loads of cokin filters and im more than happy, ive also got a fair few hitechs which im well happy with and they do all I need so haven't stretched for the lee filters as yet....

another thing to mention with the pack you queried is the is only 1 nd filter within the pack...

the uv filters are a worthwhile investment, as are the circular polarisers. The other filters are more gimmicky to be honest. a single nd4 isn't going to give you much extended time at all for exposure time increasing, especially daytime ...

with the square filter mentioned above you can layer 3 filters on top of each other so you could get a nd2, nd4, nd8, nd16, and or possibly a 10 stopper which would increase you options immensely- but they obviously come at a price....

hope this helps....

Ahh, that makes more sense. So would you recommend this cokin kit for £30?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/24pcs-Squar...?ie=UTF8&qid=1366290625&sr=8-2&keywords=cokin Looks to have everything I would need (for now, and well into the future) all for a low price.

EDIT: sorry, just realised its not a cokin kit, just a kit compatible with their adaptors... Thought that seemed very cheap compared to other kits on Amazon...

So, something like this kit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cokin-H270A-Full-Filter-Kit/dp/B004ULMY0O/ref=pd_cp_ph_0

Plus an adaptor ring (which appear to be around the £10 mark) This may sound like a stupid question, but how do I know which sized ring adaptor I need for each lens? I have a 18-55mm and a 55-200mm lens, but the rings seem to come in sizes such as 52mm, 55mm, 77mm etc...

EDIT 2:
Never mind, just found this quote online:
The size of a screw-on filter is expressed in terms of its diameter, which corresponds to the diameter usually listed on the top or front of your camera lens.

I appear to have had a full conversation with myself in this post! :D

Last edited:
I think the ones are copies of the Cokin kit rather than actual Cokin ones so I would be wary of the quality. I recently bought a set of genuine Cokin ND's with holder from WexPhotographic for £40. My belief is that other than ND and polarisers the other filters can be replicated in Photoshop/Elements.

Edit: Note to self. Read all dialog first :) the Cokin set will be fine. That's the kit I got

Last edited:
Most square slot-in ND filters are unsuitable for long exposure photography. Anything over about three or four stops, and it sounds like you're looking for a ten-stopper or thereabouts, must have a light-tight foam seal to prevent light leaking behind the filter. Screw-in is better.

Haida 3.0 is the cheapest good quality ten-stop ND filter, £30-40 depending on size, from CameraGearUK or Premier Ink. There's a long thread here about them http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=337439

Most square slot-in ND filters are unsuitable for long exposure photography. Anything over about three or four stops, and it sounds like you're looking for a ten-stopper or thereabouts, must have a light-tight foam seal to prevent light leaking behind the filter. Screw-in is better.

Haida 3.0 is the cheapest good quality ten-stop ND filter, £30-40 depending on size, from CameraGearUK or Premier Ink. There's a long thread here about them http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=337439

I'd definitely second that about the Haida 10 Stop. Really is very good quality for the price and gives very little colour cast....as you'll prob see in Hoppys link.

Thought I'd also mention Kood filters as a viable option if you're still looking for the square type slot-in filters. I've found them to perform well above their price bracket (about £15 on eBay or similar).

Really? everyone raves about lees big stopper and thats a slot in 10 stop.

The Lee big stopper has a light tight gasket on it.

So still a better option than a screw in one as would hopefully produce less vignetting.

Not really. You shouldn't get any vignetting with a screw-in filter, and most of them are high quality, cheaper, and you don't need a cumbersome filter holder. Benefit of slot-in filters is if you want to stack with maybe a grad.

ziggy©;5519624 said:
Why is that?

There's possible light leak even with foam gasket if not mounted well, and over time gasket may wear off. Screw in won't have this issue.

My choice was a cheap variable ND filter on Ebay. The way I figured it, I didn't really know what I needed and good filters at 67mm are expensive, so trying things out with a cheap variable filter MIGHT be a good place to start.

My advice is save your money for lenses.
Your next lens will be either a 35mm/50mm prime OR a Macro of some description and that won't be cheap ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it. Going to go for a Haida 10 stopper. One more question though, should I get it for my 18-55mm or my 55-200mm Lens? My 55-200mm Lens only arived today, so havent had a chance to even use it yet, so not sure if it would be btter suited for the filter.

Post how you get on once you get it please, looking to get one of them as well, after a I get the 55-200mm

Post how you get on once you get it please, looking to get one of them as well, after a I get the 55-200mm

I ordered yesterday lunch time and it arrived today. Very quick delivery from Premier Ink and Photographic!

Anyway, just been out with it for a very brief test (literally had about 5 mins so not perfect by a long shot), and here is the result:

Test Shot with New ND Filter by dankellys, on Flickr

That was taken at about 5pm, in bright sunlight, with the shutter open for 4 seconds! Unfortunately there is virtually no wind and the tide was out so not much motion in the clouds or the sea, but the exposure is pretty good considering the time of day!

My Opinion: Excellent for the price (52mm only £14.99 and free delivery with a discount code), but in future I think I will line the shot up before attaching the filter :bonk:

Highly recommend.

EDIT: I should add, the image above is straight from the camera, no PP in lightroom at all

Last edited:
Back