Recommend me a good red wine!

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Now I know wine is very subjective, but keen to find out what you may recommend for the festive period based on my likes!

I am not a big red wine drinker, mainly prefer whites - normally Chapel Down (English) Bacchus as well as Sauvignon (normally NZ). When out I will normally choose Sauvignon or maybe Pinot Grigio. Red wine wise I really liked the Chapel Down Pinot Noir which I don't think they do any more. Also had a Valpolicela(?) which I liked. Don't like the tannin (?) flavour you get from reds normally. So I think its the lighter style wines I prefer. Ideally around £10-12 a bottle, plus available from waitrose or tesco.

Waitrose do a lovely Argentinian Malbec. Very good

Waitrose do a lovely Argentinian Malbec. Very good

+1 We tried Malbec for the first time last year on a cruise and loved it. We bought a £5 bottle when we got back and it was terrible. Definitely worth spending a few quid more on a decent drop. I also like a decent Rioja or a St Emillion.

My favourite white by far is decent NZ Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc.

my missus loves the wolf blass stuff

All red wines have tannins, it is just how pronounced the tannins are.
If you want a low tannin wine then Cru Beaujolais can be good - Moulin a Vent, Brouilly - also Chianti - Antinori, Frescobaldi, then you have New World Pinot Noir from New Zealand and Chile.
Rioja from £10 to £20 is great value as well.

I'll second (or third) the Malbecs. Majestic Wine do a quite nice Chilean one too here (Luis Felipe) and its a bit lighter than some of its Argie counterparts. You have to buy 6 bottles minimum from Majestic (mix and match).

I like the Campo Viejo too but for some reason I get stonking headaches the next day with it :(

Sort of a :plus1: for an Argentinian Malbec as well!

Yv is not a red wine drinker but a couple of years ago she tried one out at dinner and loved it. So much so that we bought a case from Majextic Wine. That one is no longer in their catalogue, but why not go to the nearest Majextic and ask the same question of the guys there; what your budget is, what you like and what they recommend? Or the wine shelf manager at your local Tesco or Waitrose ;)

South African pinotage we very good. Try the rustler, very rounded, full of flavour.

Now I know wine is very subjective, but keen to find out what you may recommend for the festive period based on my likes!

I am not a big red wine drinker, mainly prefer whites - normally Chapel Down (English) Bacchus as well as Sauvignon (normally NZ). When out I will normally choose Sauvignon or maybe Pinot Grigio. Red wine wise I really liked the Chapel Down Pinot Noir which I don't think they do any more. Also had a Valpolicela(?) which I liked. Don't like the tannin (?) flavour you get from reds normally. So I think its the lighter style wines I prefer. Ideally around £10-12 a bottle, plus available from waitrose or tesco.

Random piece of information.....
The grapes for the Chapel Down Bacchus come from my MD's vineyard.

Im a white wine person as well but these I find very nice.

Ravenwood LODI zinfandel (sainsburys)
Brazin zinfandel (Waitrose)

or for less than £10
Ernest and Julio Turning Leaf Zinfandel (£8 but often £6 in Sainsburys)

Last edited:
I think I'm right in saying Malbec is Merlot grown in South America instead of Europe/Australasia..

I think I'm right in saying Malbec is Merlot grown in South America instead of Europe/Australasia..

2 totally different grapes.

If the OP likes lighter tasting wines, then neither Malbec or Merlot are what you want. Very tannic and will dry your palate.

As mentioned earlier, stick with either Pinot Noir (but not the cheap California versions, which can be huge sugar bombs), or the Cru Beaujolais. Pinotage is a good shout, and maybe a Primitivo from Italy.

Last edited:
Got a few cases of mixed red from Naked Wines sitting in the hall.

Not opened them to see what we've got this time but we've had some nice stuff from them in the past.

This takes the wrinkes out...

Untitled by dinners85, on Flickr

Last edited:
Primitivo is the same grape as zinfandel I believe.

It is, but I have always found the Italian 'version' to be slightly lighter than it's American cousin, and there's usually a fair degree of difference in alcohol too. We had an Califorinian Zin come in at 16.4% alcohol one year; it flew out of the warehouse & shelves. It's a bit more restrained at 14.9% now ;)

2 totally different grapes.

If the OP likes lighter tasting wines, then neither Malbec or Merlot are what you want. Very tannic and will dry your palate.

As mentioned earlier, stick with either Pinot Noir (but not the cheap California versions, which can be huge sugar bombs), or the Cru Beaujolais. Pinotage is a good shout, and maybe a Primitivo from Italy.

Back when I owned my wine shop... :)
I sold a Pinot Noir from Western Australia (Swan River) which was one of the strongest, most flavourful wines I have ever tasted. Normally Pinot Noirs tend to be light and fruity, easy to drink, wines. This one was 14.5% and had more flavour than a shiraz.
Malbec tends to have an 'earthy' flavour and is usually from Argentina. Not the easiest red wine to drink.

As above, a Beaujolais of some sort is normally the easiest red wine to drink.

If you like white wines, why change?
Wine is meant to be enjoyed.

A sauvignon blanc: say Oyster Bay, Cloud Bay, Huntaway Reserve, Dog Point Block 94, or maybe a good Sancerre are all worthy wines.

Got a few cases of mixed red from Naked Wines sitting in the hall.

Not opened them to see what we've got this time but we've had some nice stuff from them in the past.

This takes the wrinkes out...

Untitled by dinners85, on Flickr
I've not seen that one. I'll give it a try next time I place an order.

I've not seen that one. I'll give it a try next time I place an order.

I think it was one that Naked threw in last time.

I can always go and buy 'good wine' when required but I like the idea of supporting the little guys when it comes to stocking the rack.

Last edited:
Is it naked that effectively the same as times wines, which is laithwaites?

Is it naked that effectively the same as times wines, which is laithwaites?

I'm not sure to be honest - it's my Wife that does the wine club.

All I can tell you about Naked Wines is that it's all independent winemakers.

Back