Red Backed Shrike...

Edit My Images
Yes
Thought I would share this lovely little Red backed Shrike from last weekend...

untitled-8173.JPG

Super sharp and great lighting
Thanks, the day started out very grey but soon brightened up so went down to Sussex to hopefully see it as its been there for a good week or 2 luckily it was there surrounded by many birders and toggers alike and managed a good number of shots, just as well I made the effort last Sunday as it apparently left and moved on to warmer parts Monday..

Great shot of a bird I dont think Ive ever seen in the flesh. Theyre quite small IIRC ?
Are they ok population wise ?

Great shot of a bird I dont think Ive ever seen in the flesh. Theyre quite small IIRC ?
Are they ok population wise ?
Its a first for me too, apparently they're pretty rare over here these days it's between size of a sparrow and a thrush I guess but what a Bird with an almost 100% catch rate when hunting taking bees, wasps, flies from the air and even removing back end where it knew there was a sting before eating and even diving in the grass taking Beetles, Lizards and even Voles so I read basically anything it thinks it can tackle its like a mini Bird of prey and spikes its uneaten food on barbed wire spikes, thorns etc for easy meals later on...

Thanks for all comments and likes..

Very nice Deano, like the composition.

I saw that it was there for a couple of weeks and, as it's only an hour away from me, planned to go down there last Monday. Work got in the way though and I later learned that it had left Sunday evening, saved me a missed one! ;)

Beautiful image - go back and see if it is still around - I think that this bird is on the "Red" list

Well done Deano, I saw one the other week (a first for me too) whilst out walking, only bins though no camera:(. Not sure if they are resident here on Crete.

That's a fantastic shot, one of the best I think I've seen on TP. I'm a sucker for super sharp crystal clear shots like this, gets me excited about going back out! Out of interest, what part of sussex was it in? I live in Crawley (East Sussex) but I didn't know about it :(

That's a fantastic shot, one of the best I think I've seen on TP. I'm a sucker for super sharp crystal clear shots like this, gets me excited about going back out! Out of interest, what part of sussex was it in? I live in Crawley (East Sussex) but I didn't know about it :(
Thanks, sorry for delayed reply but as you know now it was in Tide mills between Newhaven and Seaford so very close to you really as I live near Bluewater shopping centre near Dartford so was a fair trek for me but a worthwhile one, it apparently left the day after possibly even the afternoon I saw it and headed off to warmer parts so I heard so was well pleased to of caught a glimpse, I too should of gone sooner as it was there for nearly 2 weeks...

Back