Red Kites!

I was down in Wales earlier in the year and had the pleasure to watch them feed, it certainly is a wonderful sight

But as Nigel pointed out, it looks a little under exposed, if you shot in RAW you should be able to pull back a fair bit more detail from the shadow under the wings

I'm not a big fan of the pose either, you can't really make out the wings or the signature tail, but a nice capture of it eating

Could have possibly done with a slightly higher shutter speed too to freeze the action

Thanks for the comments. I really struggle with getting DOF on birds unless they are far away. I should of mentioned some settings etc...1/1600, f10 iso400 on a Canon 6d and 100-400mm L lens.

The image looked OK exposure wise on my monitor, but I can it's now dark on my phone.

As for the setting, should I be running higher shutter speeds?

John

Well I did say I was not the best! I took about 800 pics in the space of 15mins, with various settings and this was one of better ones, I also wacked the speed up to about 1/2500 on some pics in shutter priority mode. I did wonder if it is was worth going full manual when doing this kind of photography? But was worried they would end up dark.

John

Any exposure compensation for the bright background or did auto exposure/meter handle it OK
Matt

I just set the white balance to the the sun symbol as it seems to make alot of difference with colours in certain conditions. The camera is a Canon 6d.

Back