Red lights,red dress and a red image.

fracster

I love BRASH and BRASH loves me
Suspended / Banned
Name
Ade
Edit My Images
Yes
Is there anyway I can alter the "redness" of this image? Taken from at a show at the weekend.

Peel10th038.jpg

Thanks for any advice.

If you have Lightroom the auto white balance should take care of that nicely

Curves ? Set to the red channel on the drop down and adjust the red (I pulled the high end of red down)... then maybe adjust overall (I lightened a bit).. done in GIMP Something like ...

Peel10th038.jpg

Hope you don't mind... let me know and I can remove.

No, don`t mind at all John.I appreciate you taking the time to help.......(y)

does this help? Sorry about the lips - just playing :)
A hue/saturation mask for the reds.

That sort of stage lighting is just dire.
I often turn an image mono.

Forget what I said about lightroom, I have a better method. In PS use the colour balance with a mask to kepp the redness of the dress, it took about 1 minute.

LOL - I recognise this problem!
I was official Tog at a festival earlier in the year and the main stage had almost exactly the same problem - a horrendous red hotspot.
I can confirm that just tweaking white balance on RAW didn't fix it. More drastic editing like that listed above is needed.

Looking through the festival gallery there are no good examples taken by me as I either quick fixed with white balance or binned them. But here's one from the rest of the festival gallery taken by one of the punters that illustrates the problem nicely - check out the Tango'd bloke on the left.
normal_10-22_47_20-Swarb3.jpg

It was too late to get anything done about it for the Friday Evening Concert; but the techies looking after the stage were happy to work with me and we got it sorted out before the Saturday Evening Concert. Next year I need to plan to check the lighting just before the concert venue opens - it will JUST be dark enough to check for hotspots.

Forget what I said about lightroom, I have a better method. In PS use the colour balance with a mask to kepp the redness of the dress, it took about 1 minute.

Would you be so kind as to explain how to do that please?

Ade, if you are working with a RAW file in LR go into the HSL/Color/Greyscale section within the develop module, click on saturation and play around with the red and orange sliders.

Alternatively, reduce the saturation in just the red channel in Photoshop, then create a duplicate layer and do a general desaturation on the whole image until it looks washed out and play with the opacity until happy. This is the method I used here - obviously a quick and dirty edit on a small image but it gives you an idea.

Plenty of different avenues for me to look at here,thanks for all the help guys.............(y)

How did you get to that please Chaz?

Selective colour adjustment layer red (absolute) C+15 M-7 Y-31
Then make a selection of just the singer copy it to new layer- filter/blur/average.
New curves adjustment layer- mid dropper click on to this blurred layer. Delete the blurred layer
To tide it up a bit I then cleaned up the skin a bit with the patch tool.
Hope you can follow this OK

Would you be so kind as to explain how to do that please?

Just add an adjustment layer, Colour Balance, I think this option is only available in CS4 but could be wrong.

Thanks again guys,should keep me busy for a while.

The stage lights were mainly red,purple and green................:puke:..I got some real horrors when they had the gold dresses on..........:LOL:

Back