Red Snapper, first impressions

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Well I just received my red snapper RSF-284 & RSH-12 Ball Head from the politest courier I've ever encounter, not long after ordering. Great.

Opening the box I was pleased, it all looks really good, the carry bag looks better than expected the head is smooth etc. but then I noticed a few things I'm less sure of:

The legs won't actually fit in the bag with a head attached. This is a bit of a pain. Can this be overcome with some clever packing I haven't thought of?

If all of the legs are outstretched to their full level, the tripod doesn't sit flat as it appears the leg capable of becoming a monopod is just a little longer (probably due to the red section). Not so much of a problem but it'd be less of a hassle with a small bubble level or something.

For the price its still great, maybe I was expecting just a touch too much.

Doesn't really matter if it doesn't sit flat does it? You'll often have uneven ground anyway and with a ball joint you can just set the camera at whatever angle you want so the tripod could be on a 30 deg slope and the camera could still be level :p

As for the rest, I don't know :p

Is this the one where the legs flip through 180 to make it compact? Surely if it has a head on (RSH-61?) it wont make a difference length wise or is it width wise your talking about?

Doesn't really matter if it doesn't sit flat does it? You'll often have uneven ground anyway and with a ball joint you can just set the camera at whatever angle you want so the tripod could be on a 30 deg slope and the camera could still be level :p

As for the rest, I don't know :p

Often it'll get used on a totally flat, on a man made floor too :D , but yes you're correct.

Is this the one where the legs flip through 180 to make it compact? Surely if it has a head on (RSH-61?) it wont make a difference length wise or is it width wise your talking about?

yes you flip them 180 deg. If I do this and extend the central column to its max it nearly packs small enough but the width (and the various knobs) of the head makes the legs flare out just a touch too much and one leg won't let the zip close.

yes you flip them 180 deg. If I do this and extend the central column to its max it nearly packs small enough but the width (and the various knobs) of the head makes the legs flare out just a touch too much and one leg won't let the zip close.

Thats a bit pants then eh, thought that was the whole point of it all, have you emailed Joe at redsnapper to see what they say?

on my older Redsnapper i think the tripod only fits in the bag with the head rotated so that it sits in the slot with the QR plate screw pointing down

Ive just got the newer rst 283 with r12 ballhead and it fits in the bag with the head attached, have to retract the rubber feet though so the spikes are showing otherwise its a tight fit.

Ive just got the newer rst 283 with r12 ballhead and it fits in the bag with the head attached, have to retract the rubber feet though so the spikes are showing otherwise its a tight fit.

The head doesn't interfere with the 'third leg'? Its not really length that's causing the problem (even though its quite tight!).

Bennp2000 said:
The head doesn't interfere with the 'third leg'? Its not really length that's causing the problem (even though its quite tight!).

I dont think the 283 folds away like yours does mine fits in the bag as if you are using it eg head still on top.

Aha! If I take the spare central column out (I take it this is just if you want to travel light?) of the bag, and position it so two legs are on the zip side AND carefully position the legs between two of the knobs on the head. It fits (just)...

Aha! If I take the spare central column out (I take it this is just if you want to travel light?) of the bag, and position it so two legs are on the zip side AND carefully position the legs between two of the knobs on the head. It fits (just)...

the short centre column is so you can get very low to the ground (spread tripod legs out )

Ok, Joe has pointed out that these legs are built for the smaller ball head and thus it will be a tight fit!

I've found dropping the central column out is the easiest way to fit everything in the bag. On reflection, I'm really pleased with it.

I have the 284 and rsh12.

It fits in the bag! best thing to do is keep playing with trying it at different positions. Sounds a pain, but dead simple when you get it to fit once. You tend to think that two legs lie flat in the bottom of the bag, but in fact it fits with the two legs flat against the zip side of the bag! hope this makes sense. once you have figured how it goes in, it will become second nature putting it away.

I have a Manfrotto 410 head on mine and it still fits in the bag if I tilt the head.

Back