Critique Red Squirrel - My first in the wild.

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a great day out in Yorkshire yesterday photographing red squirrels.
This was one of many that I quite liked.

C&C more than welcome.

Thanks for looking.

3444-1395041368-fab873e1222acc86f63f0c47e54da001.jpg

Cheers Jake. This one was with the 500mm, but I have some just as close taken with a 100mm macro! :)

I took a few in the Lake District last year with a hired 100-400mm. Was a challenge shooting wildlife with a big lens, so I imagine getting an image of this quality took quite some doing!
Interested to see the 100mm shots!

I'll put one of the 100mm shots up later. It was a good experience and great if you don't have an expensive telephoto. The only problem was the light in the woods wasn't great so had to up the ISO to 1600.

I'll put one of the 100mm shots up later. It was a good experience and great if you don't have an expensive telephoto. The only problem was the light in the woods wasn't great so had to up the ISO to 1600.

Can't tell the ISO was upped in the above shot. What body are you using?

Canon 5D2. If you get the exposure wrong at that ISO, you get very noisy images, but if it's spot on, then you're fine. A little tweaking with PP and that's it. This shot has had very little editing in Photoshop.

Canon 5D2. If you get the exposure wrong at that ISO, you get very noisy images, but if it's spot on, then you're fine. A little tweaking with PP and that's it. This shot has had very little editing in Photoshop.

I always thought the 5d2 was good at higher ISO. I've never used one, was tempted to buy a second hand one but decided to buy the Mark 3 instead.
Is the squirrel coaxed onto the moss with food etc. or is that a natural choice of seat?

Beautiful image Gareth, nice to see a straight on shot, as many are taken from the side.

I always thought the 5d2 was good at higher ISO. I've never used one, was tempted to buy a second hand one but decided to buy the Mark 3 instead. Is the squirrel coaxed onto the moss with food etc. or is that a natural choice of seat?

The 5D2 is pretty good with the higher ISO but 1600 is generally my limit. I try to keep down to 800 or below if possible, but the woods were just a little too dark to keep the shutter speeds up.

Beautiful image Gareth, nice to see a straight on shot, as many are taken from the side.

Thanks Jango. I've got loads of good side on shots, but this one just caught my eye.

Lovely images of my favorite animal, I didn't know we had Reds in Yorkshire ( I'm a Yorkie now living in Somerset)

Les ;)

Love the first one, nice dof and lovely and sharp, fab shot :)

Thanks Les. I must admit I didn't know there were either, although I am from Cheshire.;)

I must make the effort next time I'm up seeing my family, care to PM me the location??

Thanks

Les ;)

Had a great day out in Yorkshire yesterday photographing red squirrels.
This was one of many that I quite liked.

C&C more than welcome.

Thanks for looking.

3444-1395041368-fab873e1222acc86f63f0c47e54da001.jpg

Well I must say that if that is your first in the wild then you should be mighty pleased with yourself,it is an excellent example of a beautiful animal,far to rare in the UK.

The verdant green platform really does compliment the wonderful subject and the OOF tail works,but,I have to say it is this lovely squirrels best feature.

Overall the way you have constructed the composition you have a brilliant portrait of a great looking Red squirrel.

Back