Critique Red Squirrel up close and personal

Name
Steve France
Edit My Images
Yes
Taking pictures from the comfort of my lounge with 500mm PF and this one came really close as the light was fading mid afternoon.
Last sunlight of the day seems to pick out the beautiful reds.... with a prime at max f5.6 and speed to 1/1000th as low as I dare HH and not wishing to push ISO to high.
I am hoping that I did this magnificent creature justice, your critique is well appreciated

02-11-2022 Red Squirrel 5.jpg

He’s a cracker, excellent ;)

TFS it is a beauty

I find the Reds so delightful and you are very fortunate to have them as resident native species on the IoW.......I am sort of jealous :)

I recently found a spot near me frequented by reds - they're such engaging little buggers.

Beautiful. I'm finding myself captivated by its delicate little feet.
I wish I didn't have to travel hundreds of miles to see anything but a grey tree rat. Some people like them, but once you've seen a red in the wild...........
There are schemes to release reds in the south west but so long term it may not be in my lifetime. First they want to release pine martens to outcompete and eat the grey squirrels. Apparently since red and pine martens evolved together the reds know how to avoid getting eaten but the greys don't. They've done studies so it must be true...........?

From what the keepers at Escot Wildwood (just off the A30) have told us, it's the size of the reds that helps them avoid the pine martens - the squirrels can get out along branches that greys and martens can't.

Lovely shot of a most obliging model, Steve. I think you've definitely done him/her justice.

Very nice wildlife style capture Steve, with good colour and some fine detail.

Beautiful. I'm finding myself captivated by its delicate little feet.
I wish I didn't have to travel hundreds of miles to see anything but a grey tree rat. Some people like them, but once you've seen a red in the wild...........
There are schemes to release reds in the south west but so long term it may not be in my lifetime. First they want to release pine martens to outcompete and eat the grey squirrels. Apparently since red and pine martens evolved together the reds know how to avoid getting eaten but the greys don't. They've done studies so it must be true...........?

RE reds v greys : I've heard it said that as the reds are smaller and more delicate than the greys, they can escape to the ends of branches where greys and pine martins fear to tread, in case they fall off! But there may be more to it than that..........

Edit: oh I see Nod has already posted that. :)

Last edited:
Back