Reflector stand recommendations

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there, can anyone recommend a decent but not too pricey reflector stand? Most I've seen seem to require a light stand to mount the arm on but I don't have a spare one as I sold my cheaper one already so ideally looking for an all inclusive solution. One that comes with a 5 in 1 reflector too would be ideal as I only have a small handle and a huge 2x1.5m one.

Better stand from Calumet but you'll still need to buy the collapsible reflector so the Calumet is even more expensive.
I do have a reflector that size somewhere in the house but where it is now I don't know! Need to have a look for it!

I bought this one now for about £30. I can't seem to find a way to tighten the horizontal bar that holds the reflector so the reflector only really can go vertical or possible fully horizontal. The stand itself is pretty flimsy (like the ones I had before for just hotshoe flashes) and I think the horizontal bar will need some kind of counterweight like a woman's handbag or similar to avoid tipping up. So not sure how much I'll use it but at least the reflector itself should be handy if I can prop it up against something to help the stand hold it in place!

Do you mean on the pivot clamp? Try one of the other holes for the reflector holder shaft as they should be different sizes, everything on that should tighten and be reasonably strong.

A better stand is preferable but you could try positioning the reflector so it's over one of the three legs, making it less likely to tip (a counterweight or a weight on the base are other solutions).

Do you mean on the pivot clamp? Try one of the other holes for the reflector holder shaft as they should be different sizes, everything on that should tighten and be reasonably strong.

A better stand is preferable but you could try positioning the reflector so it's over one of the three legs, making it less likely to tip (a counterweight or a weight on the base are other solutions).
Yup, on the pivot clamp. There is a lever that locks it at a particular angle but nothing that tightens on the holes you thread the pole through. Maybe I put it in the wrong hole (ooh-err..!)

That big handle that locks it at whatever angle, also tightens the grip on the reflector arm. As mentioned, you just need to make sure it's through the right hole for the size of the arm.

Personally I think lightweight stands are best for reflectors. Just stick a sandbag on the foot, job done, no need to lug a C-stand or something like that around, just to hold a reflector.

That big handle that locks it at whatever angle, also tightens the grip on the reflector arm. As mentioned, you just need to make sure it's through the right hole for the size of the arm.

Personally I think lightweight stands are best for reflectors. Just stick a sandbag on the foot, job done, no need to lug a C-stand or something like that around, just to hold a reflector.

Thanks, James. Will give it another go. I only had a quick shot with it after unboxing it as I was working (from home, I should add - not in the middle of an office!)

Sorry for not replying sooner. The stands are pretty lightweight but should be ok just for a reflector, and the price. (I have the same one)

Also, you probably did get the wrong hole as above. I did exactly the same thing when I got mine and took a few goes to get it right - but it will definitely clamp it solid.

Sorry for not replying sooner. The stands are pretty lightweight but should be ok just for a reflector, and the price. (I have the same one)

Also, you probably did get the wrong hole as above. I did exactly the same thing when I got mine and took a few goes to get it right - but it will definitely clamp it solid.

Any chance of posting a close-up phone pic of how you have it set-up? The thick bit of the boom arm will only go through the bigger hole. I only have one lever to tighten which only tightens the angle it's at but doesn't make either hole tight enough to hold the boom arm in place.

So there's 4 holes depending which angle you look at the grip from. 2 large and 2 small. The slightly larger hole of the 2 small ones grips the pole firmly. Not sure if the pics help but see below.

GgajhxK.jpg
Sqazqoqh.jpg
nGAHNBu.jpg

Just to add to the above, you'll probably have to open them up quite a bit to get round the pole, at first it seems the small holes are too small.

Got it at last! Thanks, Phil x2, Simon & James - I got there in the end! Just had to undo it enough to fit the pole through one of the smaller holes then it tightened onto it nicely. It'd be nice if they had included some instructions for dummies like me to follow but thankfully there are people less stupid on the internet to help out :) Cheers, guys! :)

Back