Refurbished cameras - Has anyone bought one?

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been thinking of buying a camera refurbished to new by Canon and was wondering if they are actually refurbished to new or is there anything i should be worrying about. If they are refurbished to new why are they so much cheaper than new cameras? Any advice appreciated.

I've just bought a Canon refurbished 350D and there is no way on earth you could tell it from a new camera. Came wrapped, packed, sealed and complete. Do it. :)

I bought a 400D for my son and as the others have said you wouldn't know that it wasn't new. I wouldn't hesitate.

My first one was a 20D that was refurbished and like the others, you could not tell it from new.

Canon are obliged to sell their demo stock in this way because they can't be listed as new, so you could essentially get one that has been in a display case somewhere for a month.

Cheers guys that will do nicely. Think i will be parting with some cash over the weekend. :clap:

Not to put a dampner on things, but looking at that shop, they appear to be the US versions (of the canons at least)

I have been thinking of buying a camera refurbished to new by Canon and was wondering if they are actually refurbished to new or is there anything i should be worrying about. If they are refurbished to new why are they so much cheaper than new cameras? Any advice appreciated.

Have a look at the canon outlet on eBay, canon UK1, I bought my 1D through them, a friend has bought 5D MKI and II and a 50D through them, no problems, camera's come with 1 years warranty, all you have to do is not get caught up in the bidding war and bid over the odds. Nearly all are reconditioned nearly new.

Not to put a dampner on things, but looking at that shop, they appear to be the US versions (of the canons at least)

The warranty makes interesting reading too. The company only guarantee the products for 14 days, then they say the manufacturer's warranty takes over, but US warranties don't tend to be valid in the UK.....

i got mine from canon outlet 40d kit version, and i could not see anything which suggested refurb..boxed full 12 month warranty

looking at canon outlet supplier it could simply mean the camera has been sold its been took back as not suitable re boxed and sold or of course it could have had a fault been repaired etc

i would be a bit cautious if its usa then manufacturers warranty after 14days i am not sure uk will repair without charge

The warranty makes interesting reading too. The company only guarantee the products for 14 days, then they say the manufacturer's warranty takes over, but US warranties don't tend to be valid in the UK.....

I can clear that one up for you as I was concerned at the time.. spoke to them on the phone and they themselves hold the 90 day warranty.... also on the invoice it states this..

Warranty Length: This product comes with 90 days warranty with Global Phoenix

A standard canon camera will have 1 years manufacturers warranty, if it is uk sold, or properly imported. The refurbished cameras from canon outlet, have 1 year warranty.
Global Phoenix are only offering a quarter of this. After that period, if you have no proof that it has been properly imported, then you may not get any warranty.
Also, many importers will provide return to base warranty. i.e. they will return the camera to the US for you. This saves you the cost during those 90 days, but, could leave you without a camera for some time.

A standard canon camera will have 1 years manufacturers warranty, if it is uk sold, or properly imported. The refurbished cameras from canon outlet, have 1 year warranty.
Global Phoenix are only offering a quarter of this. After that period, if you have no proof that it has been properly imported, then you may not get any warranty.
Also, many importers will provide return to base warranty. i.e. they will return the camera to the US for you. This saves you the cost during those 90 days, but, could leave you without a camera for some time.

one thing to think of though is you cannot get a refurb 350d from canon outlet it has to come from a seller, and have you seen waht you get for your money, you see them go for 2nd hand and that is without any warranty...

that said if I was on the market for a current model refurb it would be canon outlet that I go to first..

one thing to think of though is you cannot get a refurb 350d from canon outlet it has to come from a seller, and have you seen waht you get for your money, you see them go for 2nd hand and that is without any warranty...

that said if I was on the market for a current model refurb it would be canon outlet that I go to first..

True, but you should easily be able to pick one up through any of the UK 2nd hand dealers and get between a 3 and 6 month warranty. You can get a 2nd hand 20D body for £250, which is 10x better camera than the 350D, I've seen 400D models on canon outlet, the 350D is very old tech (superseded by 3 newer models like the 20D).

Check out the list on 2nd hand suppliers.
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/fo...ighlight=Used+Camera+Gear:+The+Suppliers+List

Plus if you buy from the States you could be libel to import duty + tax on lenses or just tax on camera bodies, so you'll need to factor that into your equation as well, if you did it above board etc as you'll still get charged for used goods.

Peter

Fair point. But they do (and reasonably often) have a canon 400d (+lens) currently £175.
My 400d is 3 years old soon, it is 3 models on their consumer range out of date.

An american lens I might consider, as these do not have any identifying marks, and the warranty is world-wide.
However, an american camera is a different matter. These are obvious, and as Pete has pointed out, you need proof that import duty has been paid. It is possibly if you enter into the UK with one of these, that you might be asked to proove duty has been paid.

Back