Removing the head from a Velbon CX 660 tripod

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I have a Velbon CX 660 tripod which I am in the process of upgrading. I want to get a Manfrotto fluid head and eventually will get some legs too but on the meantime I would like to use this head on the velbon legs. However I can not seem to get the head off. Some things online suggest unscrewing but I can't get this to happen- does anyone have any advice or tried this before?

Any help would be much appreciated.

View attachment 27024

I got the Velbon C-400 (amazon about £50) which comes with a fluid head fitted, so I guess the head on yours is not designed to come off as they already make another model with one fitted.

I had a look at reviews on manfrottto fluid heads and bought the MVH502AH to go on my Manfrotto o55XPROb tripod

Now this is a really heavy head (1.6 kg) and if you tried to fit it to your Velbon, which presumably is as light as mine I would not even try. With that plus camera weight not a good idea

My velbon easily takes my Nikon D300 with grip and 70-300mm lens as in pic. Just make sure the plate sits on the tripod the right way

Note the plate position below the grip

Ok not as fluid as the manfrotto head, does work well enough, but for the price to me is worth it

Last edited:
Back