Repairing KM Dynax 7D

Name
Alfie
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Wondering whether anyone has info' on repairing Minolta cameras, and what, if any companies carry out repairs?

I have a Dynax 7d that fails to switch on... :eek:(

I have tried two seperate batteries and all that happens is a slight noise, then nothing.

Thanks in advance for any help...

(also, if it's dead, can anyone suggest a replacement. Bearing in mind i have 24-105 and 50-500 lenses in minolta fit).

ty again.

It's probably cheapest to just pick up another 7D from Ebay, if you have great fondness for the 7D.

If you want a 'new' replacement (or even secondhand), then a cheap replacement would be an Sony a200 for about £250 (new), or an a700 for £550 (new)

The a700 is a very nice upgrade over the 7D, and has similar build etc (semi pro). Where as the a200 is an entry level (more like the old 5D), but even the a200 probably has better IQ and faster AF than the old 7D.

even the a200 probably has better IQ and faster AF than the old 7D.
faster AF yes, - higher resolution, yes but better IQ (bearing in mind that IQ isn't just resolution) hmmm ...
I've got both a 7D & an A700 & there's no doubt that the A700 makes the 7D feel clunky but there is still something about the look of 7D images that the A700 doesn't quite match.
1 thing to watch out for seeing as you have a Bigma is that a no. of Sigmas are known for AF gear failure on Alphas as they have stronger focus motors - the Bigma is 1 of the usual suspects.

Anyway, Johnsons Photopia Service Solutions is the place
http://www.johnsons-photopia.co.uk/JP Service Solutions_17.php

faster AF yes, - higher resolution, yes but better IQ (bearing in mind that IQ isn't just resolution) hmmm ...
I've got both a 7D & an A700 & there's no doubt that the A700 makes the 7D feel clunky but there is still something about the look of 7D images that the A700 doesn't quite match.
1 thing to watch out for seeing as you have a Bigma is that a no. of Sigmas are known for AF gear failure on Alphas as they have stronger focus motors - the Bigma is 1 of the usual suspects.

I'll second those comments, I still have my 7D despite moving up. Also I bought my Bigma used and the AF gears failed within a couple of months - Sigma repaired it FOC and despite now being used on the A900 it is working really well. I have set the AF to "slow" in the hope it will survive. Having said that ..... :thinking:

p.s. The Bigma works much better on the A700 than the 7D and even better still on the A900

thanks guys,

Very helpful. Saying that i'm still undecided.
ATM my instinct is too go for the A700, and possibly, when i have extra funds see about repairing the 7D and use that as a back-up.

Bit concerned about the sigma lens news thou. Thou i have to admit i probably manually focus more. I 'try' to take pics of wildlife, and the searching can be infuriating when you have seconds in some cases to get your shots away.

Next question if i may...

Am after a dedicated macro lens too...

Sigma 105, Tamron 90 or the new Sony 100 one... any views?

thanks...

probably the Tamron.
The Sigma 105 Macro is another of the usual suspects with AF gear failure on Alphas.
The Sony is very good but I don't think that it's 1/3 better than the Tamron & it's 1/3 dearer.

I've just bought the A700 (£549)... :)

i'll just pray every time i go to use it with the big Sigma lens i have...

When more funds are available i'll hopefully get the 7D repaired, and then use that as a 2nd body.

Gotta decide on what macro i go for now...

Thanks for the advise, especially that of the Sony / Sigma gear issue... :thumbsdown:

Back