Replacement camera strap - Q or rapid

Name
Julie
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondering which strap is best - Q strap or Black Rapid? I want to connect it to a manfrotto QR plate and not screwed to the bottom of the camera. Basically I want the strap to be quick release too!

Also, its for use with a D3100 but I will eventually, when I get the hang of this photography lark, upgrade to a heavier camera body.

Any thoughts?

Thx

I use the Sun Sniper strap attached to a manfrotto rc2 qr plate - works a treat!

Three ... use mine all of the time with my D3S's and sometimes with a 70-200 attached, most comfortable and convenient with the 'L' plate.

ordered a q strap 2 days ago, might be here today, thought id see how i got on with it, never had one before.

Have 2 q straps, a single and a double.

They have both taken gripped 7d with 70-200 2.8 and flashgun, or gripped bodies with a 150-500.

They are up on the higher end of the gear weight spectrum. Ignoring huge fast primes obviously.

I've got 2 single q straps and a double harness q strap and they are fantastic. I carry my 5D3 and Sigma 150-500 OS on one and my 7D and 70-200 2.8 MkII on the other all day long with no problems.

Add me to the number who would like to know how Alex's straps have failed. I've had the single straps for well over a year and the harness for around 9 months without 1 seconds of problem.

Could you elaborate please. I have a Q strap and I'm wondering how they could fail?

The first one was the old style which uses a spring loaded clip without a screw gate, the spring failed so the connector could fall open with no weight on it ie everytime you lifted the camera to your eye.

The second was newer with the caribeener style connector with the locking screw thread on the gate. the pin at the hinge end fell out so the gate fell out of the caribeener meaning the camera could quite litterally fall off at any moment. This strap was only a couple of weeks old and I was in Argentina at the time, the supplier agreed an refund imediately upon my return.

I will not buy cheap again when it comes to straps.

Black rapid rs7 and no problems what so ever. Begs the question why they still bother with the neck strap....
I use to wear an apron all day at work and the weight from having a tape measure in the pocket use to cause me endless neck ache. I changed the straps so they went over my shoulder and neck pain gone. Same with rs7. I sometimes forget I've got a 200mm strapped to my side. The price did surprise me to start with- but I've never read a bad word against them

I have the old BR RS5 and just love how comfortable the strap is. The fasteners feels solid and the strap works great.

LLS

Had same wish as you for quick release strap and tripod plate permanently fixed.

I use a Q-strap which I'm quite happy with.

When I got a tripod I wanted to keep the QR plate attached but wasn't that happy with hooking up to the QR plate fixing- tried it and it seemed OK but there was a concern on the material quality and it not really being intended to hang the camera from. Simon at Q-strap suggested testing with double kit weight but I wasn't comfortable so I fixed the plate with a Blackrapid T1 fixing.

Thanks guys. I think having looked at the links that the Black Rapid is prob the best and safest option

Back