Replacing stolen Nikon camera!

Name
Tracy
Edit My Images
No
I had my camera bag stolen 2 days before Christmas and in it was my Nikon D3s, ive just got notification that my claim has been accepted and am now looking into a replacement camera!
Im considering the Nikon D4, D800 and DF - I shoot mainly children/teens, macro and wildlife but also love low light photography too :)

Such a shame that I dont have a local camera shop that I can go and try them out and see what I feel but they seem few and far between nowadays!
Does anyone have these or can offer any opinions please?

Many thanks.

I think the DF is overpriced for what it is - so I'd go for one of the others. The D4 will be better in low light but the D800 wins easily on resolution (ideal for macro and if you want to print big). Don't forget there's a D4s coming out soon so D4 prices will drop. For what it's worth I've got an 800E and wouldn't go back to a 12-16MP sensor.

Last edited:
If you're coming from the D3s, I'd suggest looking at the D4 or accept the compromises and look at the DF (or even a second hand D3s?). I've recently been shooting with a D610, and although rankings such as DXO suggest the low light performance of the D610 (and D800) is at or better than the D3s, that is only when down sampled to the same resolution (so averaging out the noise). My own experience is that the D610 is not in the same ballpark noise-wise as the D3s I normally use. The D800 ranks similarly, which suggests it's "natural" noise may be worse than the D610, but same or better once down-samples (since it has much more down-sampling to go to reach the D3s). Would be worth trying them if possible, it depends how important low light is. My own experience (after using D3s for a long time) has been like that.

How did you like the feel of the D3s, the D800 is smaller and I find it a negative on that score, resolution is fantastic but low light wold be better on the D4.
I would say the D4 would be your choice as you include wildlife and low light, though of course you could always go for a S/H D3s if you can find a good one - Grays of Westminster often have a couple (but not now!).

I have the D800 and fitted a Nikon battery pack. Do I love it? Just try taking it from me, its fantastic

Sounds from your original post that you missed out the word "beloved" before D3s! Unless you were hankering after a new toy I'd be inclined to try and find a good low-milage one. IMHO none of the other cameras offer a straightforward upgrade. Just my 2c. cheers,cw

I have a D4; I've not used the other models you mention. Some real pluses with the D4--in no particular order: great low light ability; high frame rate; superior build quality; excellent fast focus; deep buffer; excellent dynamic range; great ergonomics (though that's a more personal evaluation); manageable file size (for those of us with older computers). Some negatives: uses two different media cards (CF and XQD); heavy (especially when combined with fast glass; less ability to "print big" (at least without up-sampling); expensive--approximately twice the price of a D800/800e. For the same money you could get a high end Mac and the D800e.

Good luck with whatever you opt to purchase.

I had my camera bag stolen 2 days before Christmas and in it was my Nikon D3s, ive just got notification that my claim has been accepted and am now looking into a replacement camera!
Im considering the Nikon D4, D800 and DF - I shoot mainly children/teens, macro and wildlife but also love low light photography too :)

Such a shame that I dont have a local camera shop that I can go and try them out and see what I feel but they seem few and far between nowadays!
Does anyone have these or can offer any opinions please?

Many thanks.

What does your insurance company say ?

You will probably have a specific replacement body approved - like for like you'll be on a D4, you could argue a wait for a D4s given it is announced but it could be a few months depending on whether you are NPS or not, as there will be a priority allocation as they come in to the country. Many insurance companies will purchase or authorise a collection of a new camera from a specific retailer.....

Or have they given you a cheque and are you able to spend it on whatever you like ?

The D4 would be my camera of choice if I was in a lucky enough position as you. There's a couple of niggling things with the Df which have stopped me from deciding to buy one (one card slot etc...I can easily live with no video). Because the D4 is out of my range, I'll be looking for a D3s in a couple of months over a Df or D800.

Edit

I think you're right though in wanting to test drive your short list.

Last edited:
I see you're in Bucks. I'm guessing you're probably (a lot) more south Bucks. than Milton Keynes bur Calumet advertise the Df, d800/E and D4.

I'd suggest the D4 too. The d800 is a different beast and the Df looks to be a bit of a gimmick from flicking through this week's Amateur Photographer review. As Mike said your insurance company with probably expect you to get a D4 as it's the most similar to the one you had stolen.

P.S I had my brand new D3s stolen a week after it was released. It was a very upsetting experience and I truly sympathise.

I see you're in Bucks. I'm guessing you're probably (a lot) more south Bucks. than Milton Keynes bur Calumet advertise the Df, d800/E and D4.

Calumet Milton Keynes is about 34 miles away.* I'd say it's well worth a drive over there to try out the cameras - much better than buying the wrong one!

(* Tracy bought an SB-600 from me in 2010 - link - and I used to live in her part of Bucks).

Last edited:
Back