Critique Reptile Shots ... With the (2nd) new 1.8.. Having a Play with DOF

Edit My Images
Yes
SUMMARY:
Reptile Shots ... With the (2nd) new 1.8..
Having a Play with DOF
Using my new light tent I got for chrimstas

Leopard Gecko babies bred by me & a spider morph royal python

GEAR:
Canon 40d
Canon 50mm 1.8
On board flash (using a diffuser)
Studio Light tent
Various apertures, 1.8 upwards

STORY:
For years I've been crop obsessed nazi trying to get the entire subject fully in frame and focus... so for me to try using shallow DOF and selectively cropping and not including parts of the subject in the frame, was something I've been enjoying exploring, I would love to hear people's views on the DOF, and the composition, and anything you want to input on :)

Spider Royal Python
by Cookie Pug, on Flickr

Spider Royal Python
by Cookie Pug, on Flickr

Spider Royal Python
by Cookie Pug, on Flickr

(PERSONAL FAVE)

Spider Royal Python
by Cookie Pug, on Flickr

Spider Royal Python
by Cookie Pug, on Flickr

Leo
by Cookie Pug, on Flickr

Leo
by Cookie Pug, on Flickr

(Another Fave)

Leo
by Cookie Pug, on Flickr

Just my opinions but hope they're constructive!

In #1, the left side of the panoramic crop doesn't add anything. Maybe crop it just to the left of the crossover?
In #2, I think a little rotation might work better so the tail is in the bottom left of the frame rather than near the top left.
I think the crop in #3 is a little too tight on the right and bottom OR too loose on the left.
Have to agree with you on #4, the pick of the Ophidians IMO.
I think #5 is a little dark, I would like to see a little detail in the black scales and eye.
Apart from the cropping being a little too tight for my tastes, I like the gecko baby shots - is the final shot the same animal? The markings look very different. For my taste, the last shot is my favourite of the set - I'm not really a fan of shallow DoF but that one's worked well.

Back