Reptiles and amphibians

Edit My Images
Yes
Here are a few shots of my local reptiles and amphibians. I don’t have many that I would consider decent photos as, until recently, I mostly just took record shots. I’m quite happy with these though, (mostly) in situ and unmolested.

Grass snake by yellowhammer_01, on Flickr

Male adder by yellowhammer_01, on Flickr

neonate common lizard by yellowhammer_01, on Flickr

Marsh frog by yellowhammer_01, on Flickr

Grass snake by yellowhammer_01, on Flickr

juvenile adders and slow worm by yellowhammer_01, on Flickr

Oh I love those!! You got all these shots out in the wild did you? Whereabouts are you based exacly? I spent A LOT of time looking for slow worms as a kid and never once found an adder! I`ve only seen them in the wild a few times really. I`ve got a nature reserve right on my doorstep too and I`ve never seen a single snake up there! One slow worm, that`s it. That`s not for want of looking either.... Keep them coming, I really like all of those :) Sounds like you spend a lot of time doing the same thing I do! lol Rummaging around looking for interesting wildlife :)

I like the set thanks for sharing.

Love the black adder. Would love to see one of those

Thanks chaps, glad you like them. :) Ryan, I'm in north Kent. We're lucky here in the number of good reptile sites we have, although it's a constant battle against development. If you want to see some reptiles in the wild I'd suggest you join your county ARG, which you can find here; http://www.arguk.org/local-groups Get involved, help out and you'll soon find out what's what in your area. Or I could post you some slow worms - we've got plenty spare :D

slow worms by yellowhammer_01, on Flickr

slow worms by yellowhammer_01, on Flickr

Some other awful shots. Male adders fencing;

Male adders fencing by yellowhammer_01, on Flickr

Wall lizards. Like the marsh frog above these are an alien species in the UK. These are from Dorset;

Wall lizard, Podarcis muralis by yellowhammer_01, on Flickr

wall lizard by yellowhammer_01, on Flickr

And one of my worst and favourite shots (taken on a mighty Fujifilm Finepix 1400 Zoom) showing an adder, grass snake and common lizard all basking together. Although the lizard didn't hang about for long once it saw the adder :D

Adder, grass snake & lizard by yellowhammer_01, on Flickr

Last edited:
Some great shots there. I love the marsh frog, he almost has a smile on his face! The common frog is a great capture and the greens are really good. I love the colour of the black adder. Don't think I've ever seen one.

some real nice pic's there. cant pick a fav from them but like the colours on number 8 :)

I like those, and didn't even know there was such a thing as a (reptilian) black adder!

I like those, and didn't even know there was such a thing as a (reptilian) black adder!

In the first photo, is the snakes eye cloudy because it is about to shed its skin?

Thanks everyone. everything is coming out of hibernation as we speak so hopefully I'll have some new shots soon.

In the first photo, is the snakes eye cloudy because it is about to shed its skin?

Exactly that. The eyes milk up with the liquid between the old & new skin. As snakes don't have eyelids it's visible for a few days, then it clears for a couple more, then the old skin sloughs off in (usually) one piece. I'm sure someone on here has a good shot of a shed skin? I haven't I must admit.

Thanks everyone. everything is coming out of hibernation as we speak so hopefully I'll have some new shots soon.

Exactly that. The eyes milk up with the liquid between the old & new skin. As snakes don't have eyelids it's visible for a few days, then it clears for a couple more, then the old skin sloughs off in (usually) one piece. I'm sure someone on here has a good shot of a shed skin? I haven't I must admit.

I have a black mamba skin in a little pot in the garage, skin over the eye is present. Slightly disconcertingly I found it one morning near our tent!

Back