Reptiles and Reflections

Is the snake a Corn snake? Its absolutely stunning and you have captured it magnificently Lizard is excellent too...

Plus on the home page looks like its after a mouse with the thumbnail thats next to yours lol.... that wont make much sense once eventually. :p

Wow, just wow. Never seen anything like this and its absolutely amazing!

Great shots Catherine - as someone with x11 snakes I can imagine the hard work thats put in to getting them photographed to this quality (y)

Fantastic and original work (sorry, can't say Im a reptile fan!)
Where can you get black perspex from, may I ask?
Anyway, you should be proud of these pics..nothing to add!

Hungry Jack is a corker. I din't notice his sidekick at first (y)

Thanks for the comments! The snakes really didn't want to sit still, they were too busy looking around corners and trying to climb things. I was surprised when I realised I actually managed to get the full body shot of JD but it seems I managed to snap her right before she stretched her body out. In the second shot you can see her taking a pause to examine her reflection which was pretty adorable.

I got the perspex from an online site called sheet plastics, they cut to size.

Here's another one of Jack before the locust decided to hop down
The Gecko Surfing Locust by CathyBrione, on Flickr

Catherine one trick I use with snakes is to have a "hide" for them - anything that blocks out the light. I put them under it and leave them for a few minutes, then remove the hide and normally you get a few minutes before they decide to explore. Mind you finding a hide big enough for a retic has proven challenging sometime :)

"Excellent" set of images Catherine, with some really nice composition, exposure, and detail.(y)

George.

Wonderful the black background really shows them off
the first one is my favourite a great portrait

Those are brilliant, great use of the black Perspex....very surreal. 3rd & 4th are particularly stunning. In the 3rd, is the snake raised a little in the middle.....or was it dinner?

Beautiful! Stunning animals fabulously portrayed.

Gotta get me a lizard of some sort one day.

JD is really superbe, what type is it, lizard or gecko? The last shot with the cricket on its head is sublime :)(y)
The sharpness in all the shots are spot on.

Great images, love how the black Perspex works,

Think I'll have to get some from my work to use for my Crested Gecko.

Sorry i've taken so long to reply, I really do appreciate the comments! :)

Catherine one trick I use with snakes is to have a "hide" for them - anything that blocks out the light. I put them under it and leave them for a few minutes, then remove the hide and normally you get a few minutes before they decide to explore. Mind you finding a hide big enough for a retic has proven challenging sometime :)

Thanks for the tip! That technique might work best on a baby retic lol.

Nice pics. Had a go at this a while back but didnt get images as good or reflections as sharp. What lighting did you use and where were the lights placed?

I had one light placed to the right with soft box and used an on-camera flash with lightsphere.

Those are brilliant, great use of the black Perspex....very surreal. 3rd & 4th are particularly stunning. In the 3rd, is the snake raised a little in the middle.....or was it dinner?

She's sitting on top of her own body lol

JD is really superbe, what type is it, lizard or gecko? The last shot with the cricket on its head is sublime :)(y)
The sharpness in all the shots are spot on.

JD is a corn snake, Jack with the locust on his head is a leopard gecko :)

Dust was a pain in the bum, I was cleaning the surface so much between each shoot. Would love to try this with other species, I bet the tree frog would make a lovely shot if you ever manage to get the shot.

Well I think you have done your animals justice there love the head shot of your corn if only it had its toungue out tasting the air but I like all of these shots

Im a herp lover, and these are stunning. I love the idea of using perspex anf the results speak for themselves. Pat on the back.

Back