Residential Courses in UK

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
deleted this crap

Last edited:
Not sure about that but with such a long unemployment have you considered going back to college?
Possibly more qualifications or a career change?
If after 3 years jobs are not looming might be time for a radical career change.

deleted this crap

Last edited:
Out of interest, what is so different about a residential course besides the obvious? Why would that increase chances of a job? And is 'wildlife' really a hot job market?

deleted this crap

Last edited:
Whether it's a course or volunteering, residential means you live in or close to the site where you're volunteering etc.

A job in wildlife is something I've always been interested in. Just wished I planned my life while I was at school...... there are many areas in 'wildlife' where you can work.
Well yes I understand what residential means, hence I made the comment "besides the obvious"

I'm always one to suggest to follow your heart. However with three years of unemployment I would have thought there are more mainstream courses with lots more opportunities that would be more sensible.

deleted this crap

Last edited:
Personally I think dejongi has a point. Having been unemployed for that length of time I think you need a realistic plan to get into a job. Nothing wrong with wildlife volunteering - but that can be done in addition to paid work. I suppose the question is what do you hope to achieve longer term? Is there a specific 'wildlife' job you would like to aim for and what skills would it require? Is a residential course actually going to improve your prospects?

and the only money that I'm earning is JSA.

With the best will in the world, that's not earned.

I hope you find your calling, I truly do, but a job...surely any paying job, should be the priority.

If you are JSA you have to sign on every 2 weeks and prove you are looking for work. How would you be able to do this? Why not go and see some of your local charities and see if they have any volunteering roles you could do will also show future employers that your are doing something. Even a Charity shop in your local town.

There are jobs out there.

Go and get one.

deleted this crap

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to p*** you off :)

Sometimes people need a kick up the behind to get them moving instead of waiting for someone to offer them a job!
I'd suggest you are applying for the wrong jobs with your experience.

Try going out and actively asking for a job.
Pubs, petrol stations, local shops, hotels...
Getting a job is putting your foot in the door of the job market. Once you have a job it is easier to get the type of job you want.
You are showing willingness. It doesn't matter what you start as.

No employer is interested in someone sitting at home in front of a computer.

:cool:

Second question........a ranger maybe.......and the other two.... I have no idea!

Easier said than done. I'm not letting anyone get me down over this. Not everyone can get a job straight away especially when some people have health conditions and that includes me!!!!

Looking for a job online EVERY day and doing my hobbies, also staring at my computer monitor while gaining weight!!....... I've had about 5 interviews in 3 years.

It actually used to be every week when I signed on....but they changed it to every 2 weeks....If the volunteering is over the week where I don't go to the job centre, then I won't tell them.... also there is no mobile phone or WiFi reception in Glen Garry (just west of Loch Ness)........One of aunts said that she would ring a charity shop for me and ask the manager there if I can volunteer but I would get bored easily......I've also had word of mouth about a school wanting male volunteers, but I'm not doing it since I'm shy.

So what job have you been applying for and why do you think you did not get them? Maybe there is a course of some kind that would put you in a better position.

Also - why is your aunt ringing on your behalf? No one is going to come and drop your dream job / volunteering thing in your lap - you need to go out looking for it yourself.

...and finally - boredom is something we all have to deal with. Very few people have a constantly scintillating job.

deleted this crap

Last edited:
Second question........a ranger maybe.......and the other two.... I have no idea!

Easier said than done. I'm not letting anyone get me down over this. Not everyone can get a job straight away especially when some people have health conditions and that includes me!!!!

Looking for a job online EVERY day and doing my hobbies, also staring at my computer monitor while gaining weight!!....... I've had about 5 interviews in 3 years.

It actually used to be every week when I signed on....but they changed it to every 2 weeks....If the volunteering is over the week where I don't go to the job centre, then I won't tell them.... also there is no mobile phone or WiFi reception in Glen Garry (just west of Loch Ness)........One of aunts said that she would ring a charity shop for me and ask the manager there if I can volunteer but I would get bored easily......I've also had word of mouth about a school wanting male volunteers, but I'm not doing it since I'm shy.
I find it hard to belief anyone can get bored in a retail outlet. Even if there aren't any customers there is always something to do, something to straighten, stock to take, shelves to clean etc.

I've done it loads early in my working life, plenty of stuff to do when you look around.

Sounds like it would be good to get over your shy nature as well. Remember people will be there generally because they want something.

Anyway good luck, and remember employers don't like reasons why you can't do something. Focus on what you can do. But unfortunately if you have to start again I'm afraid it's all hands on deck and take whatever is there.

I may regret saying this. But Get off butt and do stuff for yourself... Your Aunt is not helping.. as above what dejongj said. what a load of tosh retail is not boring it bloody hard work. I had a lass asked me for a job who had not worked for a year.. but she went out and did stuff. she starts on Sunday.

Sorry but i am finding your reasons for being where you are as self inflicted. Oh and as for doing wildlife work near Loch ness there are sooo sooo many people here doing it and not sure you have looked at this.

Get a life mate... look back at my posts. i was cleaning loo's for a year before i got this job

Nothing like TP for inspiring some hope and confidence......
There are many roads that lead to Rome. My sister didn't have a job for 15 years, all sorts of "good reasons" although I called them out as excuses. But when her daughter was 11, the government gave her a choice, continue as you are but with your benefits cut to the bear minimum, or get off your backside, ignore all the reasons why not and join the rest of the working population. Finally she choose the later, and then commented on how we should have made her decades ago as she is loving it....sigh.....

I mean join the rest of all, not all jobs are great, fun, exciting. Lots of us are shy, or not confident in certain situations. It is absolutely normal.

I mean join the rest of all, not all jobs are great, fun, exciting. Lots of us are shy, or not confident in certain situations. It is absolutely normal.

Quite... lots of us have health issues too. I worked through 6 months of chemotherapy. At some point you need to start thinking what you CAN do rather than finding reasons for what you cannot.

Last edited:
Sorry everyone. I shouldn't have deleted the messages I typed on this thread. I'm an idiot.

I have decided to have a good think about spending a week on an RSPB reserve west of Loch Ness in March this year (if there's still places available). It's a long drive (nearly 400miles!), but if I'm determined to get there if I put my mind to it.
And hey, I might enjoy it and want a career in it !

Now to email them because I have a few questions........The charity is called Trees for Life.

Don't sweat it Dave, it can be hard on the old soul being unemployed for so long and can get you down big style.

Although some could have worded their replies a bit better I think everyone is genuinely trying to help in their own way.

Just keep your chin up and don't let things get you down, keep positive and don't be afraid to come on here and have a rant if you want.

Good luck in your search for a job

Last edited:
Sorry everyone. I shouldn't have deleted the messages I typed on this thread. I'm an idiot.

I have decided to have a good think about spending a week on an RSPB reserve west of Loch Ness in March this year (if there's still places available). It's a long drive (nearly 400miles!), but if I'm determined to get there if I put my mind to it.
And hey, I might enjoy it and want a career in it !

Now to email them because I have a few questions........The charity is called Trees for Life.

Ok so that's ages away and possibly another chance to put off anything else as you have something planned.
So if you're serious about going this route. Look at similar jobs, what skills do they want?
http://www.indeed.co.uk/Wildlife-jobs-in-Scotland

You mention poor health and gaining weight, use this time to get fit. Outdoor jobs will require fitness and possibly being on your feet all day.

When I was unemployed recently after being made redundant after 15 years with a company, I treated it as a job to find a new job. Started at 8am, worked through until midday, stopped for lunch. Then in the afternoon worked on either my coursework, or on learning skills required for the roles I wanted, so I could answer the questions in interview.
I also walked the dog, long walks to keep up my fitness.

You must have structure in your day, otherwise it's too easy to sit back and do nothing. So, look at the jobs around and what skills they want, plenty of jobs sites to search. Use your time wisely and plan your day.

Start early in the day, like you would if working. Get used to getting up at a time, get into a routine.

Sort out your diet and fitness. You've lots of time so there's no excise for not eating correctly. If needed walk to the shops every couple of days and buy fresh, add this to your fitness tasks ( walking, carrying loads over distances, useful skills for outdoor work).

Time gives you lots of opportunities to get those skills you need to succeed. Use it to make yourself attractive to a future employee.

Good luck

Ok so that's ages away and possibly another chance to put off anything else as you have something planned.
So if you're serious about going this route. Look at similar jobs, what skills do they want?

You mention poor health and gaining weight, use this time to get fit. Outdoor jobs will require fitness and possibly being on your feet all day.

When I was unemployed recently after being made redundant after 15 years with a company, I treated it as a job to find a new job. Started at 8am, worked through until midday, stopped for lunch. Then in the afternoon worked on either my coursework, or on learning skills required for the roles I wanted, so I could answer the questions in interview.

You must have structure in your day, otherwise it's too easy to sit back and do nothing. So, look at the jobs around and what skills they want, plenty of jobs sites to search. Use your time wisely and plan your day.

Start early in the day, like you would if working. Get used to getting up at a time, get into a routine.

Sort out your diet and fitness. You've lots of time so there's no excise for not eating correctly. If needed walk to the shops every couple of days and buy fresh, add this to your fitness tasks ( walking, carrying loads over distances, useful skills for outdoor work).

Time gives you lots of opportunities to get those skills you need to succeed. Use it to make yourself attractive to a future employee.

Good luck
Not having wanted to get embroiled in this debate as it could so easily have become a big negative thread, I wish I could have written this^, I suppose it helps that it comes from recent personal experience, but this is the only 'winning' attitude to deal with unemployment.

Good luck

I think this is excellent advice - listen to it!!

I've decided not to volunteer in the Scottish Highlands as it's too far to travel/drive. I'm now concentrating on closer RSPB reserves. The furthest being Loch Lomond (which is better than the Highlands!!)

Back