Review: B+W ND110 10 stop vs Formatt Hitech ND PRO 10 stop

I have finally got around to comparing my Big Stopper with the Hitech, both have a bluey tint but the big stopper the tint is far less.

Big Stopper

DSC_5641_big_stopper.jpg

Hitech Pro

DSC_5644_hitech.jpg

Both come out fine after setting white balance to auto in Adobe camera raw.

Last edited:
edit

Ignore I just realised it's sold by amazon and not a seller.

Whats a F pro mount with regards the BW 10 stopper, still fits my 77mm screw in?

Last edited:
B+W ND110 MC version in stock again at amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Multi-Coate...7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1310568527&sr=1-7 Just ordered one while I wait for the Lee Big Stopper to become available. More chance of seeing a Unicorn I suspect ;) Although might for for the hitech although even they seem to be getting scarcer too.

Guess screw-ins are more tricky to use with and ND grad but maybe won't be needing grad filter so much with lengthier exposures?

Last edited:
I was wondering; my lens uses 82mm filters, however B+W only make the 110 SC in 82mm. The largest 110 MRC is 77mm. Should I go for the 77mm MRC + a step-down ring, or the appropriately-sized 82mm SC?
Is there any major difference between the two in terms of flare/ghosting? I've never seen a comparison between the two...

I was wondering; my lens uses 82mm filters, however B+W only make the 110 SC in 82mm. The largest 110 MRC is 77mm. Should I go for the 77mm MRC + a step-down ring, or the appropriately-sized 82mm SC?
Is there any major difference between the two in terms of flare/ghosting? I've never seen a comparison between the two...

If that's on a super-wide, then no - get the 82mm. Heliopan ND 3.0 is also good http://teamworkphoto.com/shop/index...cts_id=10221&zenid=5r6chl1hv5n57mjcjljn61qo87

If not on a super-wide and there's no danger of vignetting, then the B+W MRC looks like the best around, even if not the best value ;)

I want to put it on a 16-35 f/2.8 II, on a 1D MkIV body, which brings the 16mm end to an effective 21mm. Safe to use or too wide?

I want to put it on a 16-35 f/2.8 II, on a 1D MkIV body, which brings the 16mm end to an effective 21mm. Safe to use or too wide?

Maybe, maybe not. It's going to be close, but surely a question that must have come up before from 1D owners. Search/google or make a new thread ;)

Back