RGB STRIP LED's

I like the light painting but I think I would prefer the image if there was no person in it, or at least no clear person. Someone maybe in the background might give the image a strange or creepy look however someone plainly in sight isn't so interesting.

That's a bit thought provoking for me because I specifically wanted to have somebody forefront in the picture because normally when lightpainting I have the person in silhouette due to the constraints of a long exposure. Popping a flash at them brings them into the image far more. As I say, it was a test to see how things went and I will be trying to hone it a little, more structure to my wafting, more interaction between wafting and the person in the image. I will of course be doing some wafting out alone when I can't find a willing victim, and hopefully with more structure to the wafting :)

I think that if you were going for 'weird' then you got there (y) and even if you weren't then it is a really interesting picture:)

I made it from parts ordered on Ebay. No soldering, just electrical tape & sellotape ;) Buy rgb led light strip from fleabay (5050 type is brighter). Buy RF remote control set, some strip light connectors, some 9v battery's, some 9v battery connectors and the little adapters to put the 9v wires into and join into the power connection on the strip controller. The led strip comes with connectors already attached to each end, pull out what you want and cut it (there are cut points every 3 led's). You can find guides on youtube on how to cut and join these strips. Stick your strip to a bit of wood or pipe the length you require, I then just sellotaped it to the bit of pvc pipe that i used for extra security. then attach the RF receiver to the strip lights (this is the weak point in all this, its really fiddly to get secure. I then taped the 9v battery to the receiver and leaving enough pipe sticking out to form a handle, after that just make up the connection from the battery to the power lead on the RF remote.

Thats all a bit long winded!!! But couple that with a bit of research via youtube and ebay and you'll figure it out. Make sure you get the RF remote, do not get the IR remote that needs a line of sight between it and the receiver! Once you've cobbled one of these together you'll realize you can adapt these to different lengths and situations. I even use these strips to make orb tools, just wrap them round a tupperware box and slap a bit of rope through the middle of it.

I hope this explanation helps ;)

Vik

I think that if you were going for 'weird' then you got there (y) and even if you weren't then it is a really interesting picture:)

Well, I enjoy buggerin about at nights with lights, most times it does come out a bit weird because you are modifying what is in front of you by using light. Your not taking a picture of reality as such. As I said above, I just wanted to incorporate a person into the picture in a more realistic way. Normally I end up using a silhouette as below:

Dans silhouette
by vikwaters, on Flickr

understand the concept of the first 2, just think something is a bit 'off' about them.
Maybe its lighting on the floor/the flash.
But the last image just works better. Silhouette is pretty abstract in its own weird way :)

If you wouldn't mind would you be able to post a link to the RGB strip and the RF remote you used? Cheers

Much prefer the third to the first two. I agree that the figure looks a bit off with the light wand. Thanks for sharing though.

I've never really got the silly masks things, I suspect it's a hangover from URBEX where people often want to conceal their identity, as photos they work but would tend to agree the first two would be better without there person, the trails however are very nice...that last one however with the wool and orb is brilliant, perfectly executed :clap:

Matt

Back