Rhosneigr, Anglesey sunset 23rd Aug

Name
Rich
Looking at the forecast, Saturday looked to be the only possible day of getting any camera action without it involving big grey, rain bringing clouds. Well it was all looking good on my way up to Anglesey but low and behold. I nice ig band of cloud moved in just prior to sunset. I was actually heading off the island thoroughly disappointed when I few rays of sun broke through the clouds leading me to dump the car in the nearest spot and run to the coast with the gear. well for the next 45 mins I simply altered exposure times and compositions and filled my memory cards with what turned out to be a pretty good sunset. Its always nice to get a few "keepers" in one session :). Will post up more once I have finished editing them :).

Rhosneigr Sundown by evorichie101, on Flickr

Fantastic sky, great colours and a dynamic sea, whats not to like.

Living by the coast I always get a bit blasé about coastline sunsets. I nearly didn't click on this thread but I'm glad I did. Fantastic detail, water movement AND skyline. Its got it all. Hope it's going to be hanging on your wall sometime real soon................

Living by the coast I always get a bit blasé about coastline sunsets. I nearly didn't click on this thread but I'm glad I did. Fantastic detail, water movement AND skyline. Its got it all. Hope it's going to be hanging on your wall sometime real soon................
Thank you very much :). It's always nice to know your efforts are appreciated by others. Especially when they involve getting very wet haha :).

Beautiful Rich. Can't really fault that one! I think were it mine I'd just crop to remove those two LHS half rocks, but that's being picky.
Thanks Jake. Appreciate the comment and the feedback :). I did have a little play wit the crop but decided on this in the end. One of those cases of trying to dodge the waves whilst holding the shutter release about 1 metre from the camera to try and stop myself getting a right soaking and hoping what you have captured is ok. There were a few waves that had me ready to dive on the gear rather than it being washed away haha

Last edited:
Thank you very much :). It's always nice to know your efforts are appreciated by others. Especially when they involve getting very wet haha :).

I've just been nosing through your Flickr, I recommend others take the time to do the same, it's full of great images You obviously take a lot of time and effort travelling to get the images you have captured.

I've just been nosing through your Flickr, I recommend others take the time to do the same, it's full of great images You obviously take a lot of time and effort travelling to get the images you have captured.
Thank you very much for taking the time to have a look Ian, and thank you for the very kind comment. I guess I would say im fortunate to be able to visit the places I do to take my photos although, as you said, there is a lot of time and effort that goes into travelling to them. I will always find away to take the camera with me where ever I go :)

Thanks Jake. Appreciate the comment and the feedback :). I did have a little play wit the crop but decided on this in the end. One of those cases of trying to dodge the waves whilst holding the shutter release about 1 metre from the camera to try and stop myself getting a right soaking and hoping what you have captured is ok. There were a few waves that had me ready to dive on the gear rather than it being washed away haha
The joys of coastal photography! Oh how I remember them well! I haven't shot at the coast in ages, must head out soon.

The joys of coastal photography! Oh how I remember them well! I haven't shot at the coast in ages, must head out soon.
I am a massive fan of Seascapes. I really struggle to get that excited feeling I get when doing landscape as opposed to seascape. You just get so much more light with the sea reflecting the sky, especially at sunrise and sunset where a landscape would be quite dark once the sun has set below the horizon. I have the Peak distict on my door step but still travel for hours to get to the sea. guess most of that comes from living on the Isle of Wight all my life :)

I am a massive fan of Seascapes. I really struggle to get that excited feeling I get when doing landscape as opposed to seascape. You just get so much more light with the sea reflecting the sky, especially at sunrise and sunset where a landscape would be quite dark once the sun has set below the horizon. I have the Peak distict on my door step but still travel for hours to get to the sea. guess most of that comes from living on the Isle of Wight all my life :)
I love seascapes, but I'm trying to focus on shooting local at the minute.
I am about 50 minutes from Weston Super Mare and the North Somerset coast, though it's just the murky River Severn! Proper sea is about 1h30m to Hampshire or 2h+ to Dorset :(

Yup, it's a really nice shot, dynamic movement in the foreground with a nice sky.

Know what you mean about the sea, if you grew up by the sea, you always get drawn back to it.

Love this one Rich..Great colours in the sky and good movement in the sea would look great on the wall.

I love seascapes, but I'm trying to focus on shooting local at the minute.
I am about 50 minutes from Weston Super Mare and the North Somerset coast, though it's just the murky River Severn! Proper sea is about 1h30m to Hampshire or 2h+ to Dorset :(
That's my problem now too Jake. Got atleast an hours drive to the coast and that's blackpool. There's some sights there but they usually ain't pretty haha.
Perfectly exposed and balanced, love it
such a lovely picture :)
Thank you both very much :)

Yup, it's a really nice shot, dynamic movement in the foreground with a nice sky.

Know what you mean about the sea, if you grew up by the sea, you always get drawn back to it.
Thank you :)
I really do miss being away from the coast. I have been a keen sea fisherman all my life so I have had to lose that too. I guess the reason im away from it now is my job so as long as I work hard and save hard then the nicer my house (by the sea) will be when I've earn't my millions :).

Love this one Rich..Great colours in the sky and good movement in the sea would look great on the wall.
Thank you very much :). The bonus about having a Zeiss 21mm lens is that you can blow these picks up to a very good size for print and they will still be razor sharp :)

Last edited:
It's a really beautiful shot. I would love to get a shot like that.

The water looks softer than the sky, I guess because the waves are moving faster and therefore blur, but I was wondering if the sky has been sharpened a bit more than needed. Nit picking I expect, just a thought.

It's a really beautiful shot. I would love to get a shot like that.

The water looks softer than the sky, I guess because the waves are moving faster and therefore blur, but I was wondering if the sky has been sharpened a bit more than needed. Nit picking I expect, just a thought.
Thanks for the comment Andrew and knowing me and my love of super sharpness. I probably have over done it a touch haha. That and over saturation are my weakness's when it comes to editing lol

Beautiful light...nicely captured.

Philip
Thank you very much for the kind comment Philip :)

Certainly is eye catching Rich, regards sharpness it does does look a little over PP, but that is just my honest opinion, looks a little unatral, thank you for sharing

Certainly is eye catching Rich, regards sharpness it does does look a little over PP, but that is just my honest opinion, looks a little unatral, thank you for sharing
That's a Fair comment thank you Kevin :). I guess its just my style of PP. Some love the very natural look and I like to make it a bit punchier :)

Indeed Rich certainly does pack a punch, and certainly look forward to the others you have to share, forgot to mention earlier about the rocks just creeping into the frame do take the eye away from the main subject, the wave crashing in maybe a wee crop to the LHS

Indeed Rich certainly does pack a punch, and certainly look forward to the others you have to share, forgot to mention earlier about the rocks just creeping into the frame do take the eye away from the main subject, the wave crashing in maybe a wee crop to the LHS
Thanks again Kevin :). I love to hear other peoples thoughts on my pics as it certainly gets me thinking about how I go about editing them next time. Its been a great way to learn :)

Back