Rip off Britain

Name
Stan
Edit My Images
Yes
I was trawling the net and came across the Canon EOS 500d,there was a price comparison for British pounds and US Dollers. To buy in the USA it costs $869 (£593) with an 18-70 kit lens.The same package in England costs £989 ($1,448).This is such a rip off on behalf of our greedy government with their taxes etc.Would they put up with that in America? I bet they wouldn't!

given that this is not for sale until may 5th, i expect the prices are MSRP rather than market price

Well if they didn't charge as much as the USA then how would those MP's get the second Houses?:D

...erm, may I point out that its not the government who set the prices, its the manufacturers?!

The taxes (ie VAT) are a very small part of the price and dont reflect the mark up at all, and in fact in the States they pay more taxes than us!

I was in my local Jessops the other day chatting to the branch manager about this and that, and we came onto the new 500D. (I bought my 350D from him three years ago next week, so it's become 3 generations out of date - or 3½ or 4 generations if you include the 1000D - in less than 3 years!)

Here are some Jessops prices:
50D: body-only £849, with 18-200 lens £1199
500D pre-order: body-only £869, with 18-200 lens £1399

Is the 500D a better camera than the 50D? Of course not. Will these prices persist? Of course not. They're just the pre-order prices. Once the camera is actually available, they'll come down quite quickly.

He explained it to me as a sort of stupidity tax. We all know that there are people out there - and on this forum - who absolutely must always have the newest camera. Not because they need it or because it's the the most appropriate solution for them, but simply because they want the newest toy and the bragging rights to go with it. Any sensible person would buy the 450D or the 50D or wait for the 500D to come down in price. So Jessops think the people who would pay that price to pre-order the 500D are fair game. It helps their profits and it helps subsidise the rest of us. I don't have a problem with that.

He explained it to me as a sort of stupidity tax. We all know that there are people out there - and on this forum - who absolutely must always have the newest camera. Not because they need it or because it's the the most appropriate solution for them, but simply because they want the newest toy and the bragging rights to go with it. Any sensible person would buy the 450D or the 50D or wait for the 500D to come down in price. So Jessops think the people who would pay that price to pre-order the 500D are fair game. It helps their profits and it helps subsidise the rest of us. I don't have a problem with that.

Court adjourned. (y)

I wonder if it is a case of greedy government? Our sales tax is 15%, most states sales taxes are around 6-8% and the list prices do not include this.

Also our goverment have been giving away money that they don't have for the last 6 months.....billions and trillions, so they have to get it back from somewhere, even if they won't actually ever get it back.

I would also point to the Canon's of this world. They set the MRSP and for many many years big multi nationals see the UK as treasure island in terms charging more than anywhere else. I think only Scandanavia are more expensive than us!! But then their average wage is nearly twice ours.

There was a guy a while back wanted Adobes creative suite 4 when it came out (the full one) it worked out cheaper for him to fly to the US, stay in a hotel buy CS and fly home after a few days break, than buy it here, and he still saved a few hundred quid if I remember rightly.
Wayne

I think only Scandanavia are more expensive than us!! But then their average wage is nearly twice ours.

:thinking: Let's say, for arguments sake that the average Scandinavian wage was twice that of the average UK wage, electronic goods, like many others are much more expensive, the VAT in Finland is 22% and the tax is considerably higher to start with, if one has a secondary job their tax card will extract up to 35% of the secondary jobs income.

The are very fair reasons for this however IMO, the education system, the public transport systems and healthcare systems are laughably more effective and this does not come for free.

Exchange rates changing rapidly don't help either. The £ has fallen sharply against all major currencies, the price we all pay for an incompetent ex-chancellor and PM.

We all know that there are people out there - and on this forum - who absolutely must always have the newest camera. Not because they need it or because it's the the most appropriate solution for them, but simply because they want the newest toy and the bragging rights to go with it
Soooo true :clap:

I bought my D60 from jessops and was horrified to spot on the receipt that £49 of the total price was TAX ! I've already been taxed on my wages, don't get me started on fuel tax :-(

...erm, may I point out that its not the government who set the prices, its the manufacturers?!

The taxes (ie VAT) are a very small part of the price and dont reflect the mark up at all, and in fact in the States they pay more taxes than us!

Maybe they do, but how do you explain fuel duty???!!!!! :wave:

Our taxes arnt as bad as people like to make out (lets make it clear I'm not defending UK tax rates here!!). Sure they are bad, and we pay for too much, but look at the US;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_the_United_States

Sure they pay less sales tax, but they get taxed 40% on earnings as a standard rate which over here only the higher pay scales have to pay. Its also a highly complex and confusing system over there... I've had to use the US tax system, never again!

The worst part of our taxation by far is the council tax.

Maybe they do, but how do you explain fuel duty???!!!!! :wave:

But that has nothing to do with the price of a new 500D, lol!! **

**unless you have to drive a long distance to buy one!

:thinking: Let's say, for arguments sake that the average Scandinavian wage was twice that of the average UK wage, electronic goods, like many others are much more expensive, the VAT in Finland is 22% and the tax is considerably higher to start with, if one has a secondary job their tax card will extract up to 35% of the secondary jobs income.

The are very fair reasons for this however IMO, the education system, the public transport systems and healthcare systems are laughably more effective and this does not come for free.

I don't know how Finland compares to Denmark, tax-wise, but I remember being shocked at the price of things there,cars and alcohol in particular were both obscenely expensive (explaining the huge queues at the duty free on the ferry on the way over :LOL:), but then the place was cleaner and everything else seemed, as Tomas says, laughably more effective.

The weather was nicer too :LOL:

But that has nothing to do with the price of a new 500D, lol!! **

**unless you have to drive a long distance to buy one!

Fuel duty does have a direct impact on prices here - how do you think the goods get to the shops ;)

Are you not aware that Britain has been called Treasure Island for years?

Fuel duty does have a direct impact on prices here - how do you think the goods get to the shops ;)

Very true, however, not in so much as it pushes the price of the camera up to the stupid levels we are seeing in relation to the price of the 500D in comparison to the US, which is my point.

The price of the 500D (pre order) is totally down to Canon and not the UK government, and that really is fact. This thread is now taking on a whole new debate!

I don't know how Finland compares to Denmark, tax-wise, but I remember being shocked at the price of things there,cars and alcohol in particular were both obscenely expensive (explaining the huge queues at the duty free on the ferry on the way over :LOL:), but then the place was cleaner and everything else seemed, as Tomas says, laughably more effective.

The weather was nicer too :LOL:

Ha ha, very observant mate, booze is considered fairly pricey here too, just over the pond in Estonia however, it's nearly cheaper than water!
You can imagine what the ferries are like :LOL:

A six pack of Fosters is around twice the price compared to the UK but a twelve bottle pack of Finnish beer (which is tasty IMO) is around 10 to 11 euros.

The price of the 500D (pre order) is totally down to Canon and not the UK government, and that really is fact. This thread is now taking on a whole new debate!

This has been covered, the pre-release price and immediate release prices are always high as it's common knowledge that manufacturers and retailers rub their hands over the obsessive folk who simply must have the newest device and must have it first.

If money is of concern or cost of the goods is an issue, then anyone with a half a brain waits until the prices drop.

Its also a highly complex and confusing system over there... I've had to use the US tax system, never again!

I've paid tax over there too and don't remember it being that confusing. The tax return went electronic way before the UK. You could nip into circuit city and buy the latest copy of turbo tax or such like and do it all on your home PC, getting human assistance along the way if needed. And as i recall you opted to pay tax at one of 3 levels which meant at the end of the tax year you either got a bill, a small rounding up or down of tax liability, or a pretty good tax rebate because you'd overpaid throughout the year.

Add to that the amount of things you could claim against your tax liability, such as medical bills, mortgage, charity donations (1:1 ratio), etc... the initial tax rate might have been high but the overall cost was far lower than here. Oh, and where I was had 0% sales tax too. (And petrol was 23 cents per litre at the time). Finally, if you got your finger out you could have your taxes filed and a rebate in your bank just in time to meet all the bills due from christmas and needing payment in February (y)

There is of course one stark difference between us and the USA, and that's their population of circa 360 million people compared to ours at 60 million people. Perhaps their bigger population tax take explains why Gordon and co are so willing to cram so many people into this country? :shrug:

can we watch what this thread is doing please chaps, its obvious that the price is set by canon and not anyone in the govenment, yes its high, early adoptors of any new thing pay over the top, its a fact of life, get over it, move on.

Current high prices are caused by the Yen adn Stirling values being wrong, so the uk retail needs to rise or the parent company in japan doesnt make as much, simple enough really when you think about it.

Here are some Jessops prices:
50D: body-only £849, with 18-200 lens £1199
500D pre-order: body-only £869, with 18-200 lens £1399

If the 500D body only is only £20 more than the 50D body only...why is there a £200 difference between the two packaged deals when the lens is the same :LOL::LOL:

its obvious that the price is set by canon and not anyone in the govenment, yes its high, early adoptors of any new thing pay over the top, its a fact of life, get over it, move on.

Current high prices are caused by the Yen adn Stirling values being wrong, so the uk retail needs to rise or the parent company in japan doesnt make as much, simple enough really when you think about it.

:agree:

These mods speak the truth, y'know ;)

I wonder if it is a case of greedy government? Our sales tax is 15%, most states sales taxes are around 6-8% and the list prices do not include this.

Also our goverment have been giving away money that they don't have for the last 6 months.....billions and trillions, so they have to get it back from somewhere, even if they won't actually ever get it back.

I would also point to the Canon's of this world. They set the MRSP and for many many years big multi nationals see the UK as treasure island in terms charging more than anywhere else. I think only Scandanavia are more expensive than us!! But then their average wage is nearly twice ours.

You can avoid the tax by buying online from another state, I live in NJ but am onoy a 45 min journey from Manhattan, NY. I go into into B and H, look and play with the equipment I want to buy then order it from home saving myself the tax

its not all bad, in Spain an s5 pro (£500 in rip off Britain) is 1300 euros. ahem.

If i could understand this...your point is:shrug:

Untill they are in stock in the uk the price is just speculation and im sure they will be a lot less than RRP.

Untill they are in stock in the uk the price is just speculation and im sure they will be a lot less than RRP.
:agree:

<cynic>
And you can always guarantee some retailers will put a price on that is lower than RRP but still high for the pre orders... and make sure they are fulfilled by going to a realistic price...
</cynic>

You say its not the government ???
The ships that land in the ports of the UK owned by whatever company (associated british ports ect) have to pay landing fees, re fuel with british fuel, in turn the ports have to pay government taxes and fees to operate then the products are put on to trucks to be distributed around the UK these trucks pay British road tax and again british fuel prices and all insurances have a tax premium .
Once in the shops the shopkeeper has to pay massive business taxes liabiltiy insurance a minimum wage to shop assistants (not a problem really).
What I am saying is the Government play a massive part in the cost of retail items and this Government are greedy robbing do do's.

You say its not the government ???
The ships that land in the ports of the UK owned by whatever company (associated british ports ect) have to pay landing fees, re fuel with british fuel, in turn the ports have to pay government taxes and fees to operate then the products are put on to trucks to be distributed around the UK these trucks pay British road tax and again british fuel prices and all insurances have a tax premium .
Once in the shops the shopkeeper has to pay massive business taxes liabiltiy insurance a minimum wage to shop assistants (not a problem really).
What I am saying is the Government play a massive part in the cost of retail items and this Government are greedy robbing do do's.

I thought Associated British ports had been sold to an Arab company??

Shipping costs are a minimal cost as a proportion of sellling price.

Back