River Test, Hampshire.

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
After a severe photography withdrawal symptoms needed to get out with the camera.... No amount of watching the weather forcast is going to make it snow in the south. Even extensive praying has not brought forth massive movement in the Eurasian tectonic plate throwing up a mountain range across the south of England:(......

So i'm going to have to make do with the River Test. This is a river famous for its Trout fisheries amongst other things. It rises just West of Basingstoke in in a little hamlet called Ashe. It is essentially a fast running chalk stream passing through the Hampshire countryside for 40 odd miles and ends up meeting the sea at Southampton. On its way it passes many picturesque spots, including Mills, Laverstoke Paper Mill, which incidentally has now been converted Bombay Sapphire distillery and the Whitchurch Silk mill. It has many famous links, The Laverstoke Mills were owed by Lord and Lady Portal (now the estate is owned by Jody Scheckter). As it passes from Overton, Laverstoke to Whitchurch it cuts though the famous Watership Down and the river of course features throughout this story. As It twists and turns, divides many times and joins again down through many pretty villages, Longparish, Werwell, Chilbolton, Longstock, Stockbridge, Houghton, Mottisfont, Kimbridge and finally into Romsey where it enters the Broadlands Estate home of the late Earl Mountbatten, Then its off under the M27 and into Southampton Water.

I'm "considering" a project maybe even a book (stupid boy) on the Test mainly because its fairly local and i know the area, I also have an affinity with the water, its been a very wet affinity on more than a few occasions:rolleyes:.

In the meantime here is shot by Bossington Mill near Houghton, Cold Frosty Morning! 1/8sec, f16, 24mm, ISO200.

River Test
by sacrickman, on Flickr

Thanks for stopping by
Also posted elsewhere

Nice pleasing image. This part of the country has so many opportunities. I have the river Test on my list of locations to visit, There are some interesting looking eel traps down by Longstock which look good to photograph, providing the bank can be accessed!

Nice image there Steve! What part of the Test is this? :)
We need to meet up for a jaunt soon!

In the meantime here is shot by Bossington Mill near Houghton

I love mist rising off water, also nice contrast between the warm and cold areas of the scene. I can't say the subject is massively interesting but the composition is as good as it gets for me.

Back